Which mini bike pump to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
£40 for the medium road drive from Wiggle / CRC right now :unsure:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezyne-road-drive-pump/rp-prod175342

90 psi max for the one you've linked...bet that takes a bit of effort with that little pump! Vs 160 for the road drive
Quite possibly, but I don't race so I wouldn't care if it took five or ten minutes to get the tyre up to pressure. If I did race, I'd just call my team car.
The pump caught my eye because it costs about £15 and it has a flexible hose that might replace the worn one on my Road Drive. The official replacement is £10.

vickster

Legendary Member
Quite possibly, but I don't race so I wouldn't care if it took five or ten minutes to get the tyre up to pressure. If I did race, I'd just call my team car.
The pump caught my eye because it costs about £15 and it has a flexible hose that might replace the worn one on my Road Drive. The official replacement is £10.
the OP can’t yet change a puncture so it’s probably best the process isn’t too arduous once she has it sussed, especially if it’s cold, dark, raining or all three!

Dan77

I've just bought this.
https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/genuine-innovations-ultraflate-co2-inflator-caminult20/

I'm tempted to not even get a mini pump for my new bike and just leave the one I've got attached to the hybrid. Would be taking this, a spare inner tube, two full CO2 cartridges and a patch kit.

The pump I have at the moment is the Bontrager Air Rush. It's not great for manual pumping but ok for emergencies and it also takes a CO2 cartridge. If I can avoid manual pumping when out on the road I will do.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've had a Lezyne Road Drive for a long time (ten years?) and it's very good. It costs about £30 today unfortunately. There's a similar-looking Lezyne available for about £16 that might be worth a try.

Whatever you decide, get a pump with a flexible hose, not a fixed head, and save yourself a whole load of broken valve/ leaking grief.

Edit: This is the cheaper one that I've never tried....
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezyne-sport-drive-hv-pump/rp-prod132518

This raises the question of high volume against high pressure.

With a small hand pump you can have either, but not both.

Lezyne mark many of their products - HV in Slowmo's link stands for high volume.

In other words, it's aimed at MTB and wider road tyres.

I have two, one on each of my bikes.

I lent one to a roadie in pneumatic distress a couple of years ago.

Try as he might, he couldn't get his repaired tyre anywhere near as hard as his other one, which he said was about 80 or 90psi.

Generally, the bigger the cross section of the pump, the higher the volume and the lower the pressure.

Lezyne mark some of their products as HP - high pressure.

Thus hand pump suitability depends on the width of tyres to be inflated.

Here's the HP model of the pump in Slowmo's link.

I can confirm they are decent pumps and very good value, but you need the right one for the job.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-spo...Y2ENDNHMGupkVuvLbpE-CcO8-zHjKduUaAhwnEALw_wcB

I have a lezyne road drive - and have just brought a lezyne power drive £28 for my winter bike. I have a track pump for home use - a good investment.

My advice stick to known brands and the basics - and also check it works once in a while - if it's frame mounted they are exposed to the elements and when you need them - pow - it's broke.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

This is the one you want.
Topeak road Morph. Like a small track pump, Flexible hose and a little foot stand. I have two of them, it can get to a high pressure easily and fits in your back pocket.
View attachment 551586
I will buy this one since I need a bike pump before Saturday as many of the pumps suggested on here are coming after Saturday, once again thank you for your help everyone. The reviews for this pump are very good so I hope all goes well :smile:

si_c

Guru
I've just bought this.
https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/genuine-innovations-ultraflate-co2-inflator-caminult20/

I'm tempted to not even get a mini pump for my new bike and just leave the one I've got attached to the hybrid. Would be taking this, a spare inner tube, two full CO2 cartridges and a patch kit.

The pump I have at the moment is the Bontrager Air Rush. It's not great for manual pumping but ok for emergencies and it also takes a CO2 cartridge. If I can avoid manual pumping when out on the road I will do.

I would never take just a CO2 inflator and no pump - you can use the pump to find the puncture quickly and easily by inflating the tube and you want a little air in the tube before you inflate it anyway to make sure that the tube isn't stuck underneath the bead of the tire. The latter is a recipe for an instant snakebite puncture.

A min pump mounted underneath a bottle cage is barely noticeable and more than worth it's weight to carry around.

MoneyForNothing

I've used co2 bottles several times, never had a problem. Very small, controllable (to a point), fast, cheap enough. This with a spare tube and I'm out of trouble. Just my 2 pence.

Dan77

I would never take just a CO2 inflator and no pump - you can use the pump to find the puncture quickly and easily by inflating the tube and you want a little air in the tube before you inflate it anyway to make sure that the tube isn't stuck underneath the bead of the tire. The latter is a recipe for an instant snakebite puncture.

A min pump mounted underneath a bottle cage is barely noticeable and more than worth it's weight to carry around.
I take your point and I might still get another pump. The CO2 inflator I just bought though does have a trigger so it's easy to partially inflate. You can even keep part used cartridges in there and use what's left later, not that I would fancy trusting that over a long period of time but I did read a review where they said it was fine when they tried it after a week.

Top Bottom