Which mtn bike tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Need to replace my sons Schwalbe Table Top tyres on his Scott. They're not up to trail riding, which we knew but as we do more he's reaching their limits and he washed out in some clay'ee mud and bashed his knee, chalk up first trail crash and now he wants grippier ones before we go again.

So purely for Trail riding and I was looking at the Maxxis Ignitor or the High Roller. I heard the Maxxis tyres are measured differently so to buy bigger. The Table Tops are 2.35 so I was looking at a 2.35 tyre to replace them in the Maxxis range or a 2.1 otherwise.

Suggestions and experiences very welcome, he's not a cautious rider but he's also not yet a strong rider, so I've got half an eye on tyre drag but not the exclusion of buying the best tyres.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
tyres... hmmm.... heck of a personal choice... what works for a lard bucket like me is unlike to please a yoof quite so much.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Cubester had a Maxxis ignitor and wasn't over impressed. The Advantage reviews well, but Cubester has Minion DHF on his Ragley. He's never complained of a lack of grip. They're tight, so get some metal levers...... They come in different compounds. He has 40a "supertacky" front and 60a rear. Again, billed as 2.35, but on his DT 5.1 rims they aren't that huge. They aren't light.....
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/116546.html

OP
OP
C

Crackle

tyres... hmmm.... heck of a personal choice... what works for a lard bucket like me is unlike to please a yoof quite so much.
True but as I've still got the original tyres on my fifteen year old mtn bike, I'm working from a position of limited experience, so any advice is going to add to my knowledge.

Cubester had a Maxxis ignitor and wasn't over impressed. The Advantage reviews well, but Cubester has Minion DHF on his Ragley. He's never complained of a lack of grip. They're tight, so get some metal levers...... They come in different compounds. He has 40a "supertacky" front and 60a rear. Again, billed as 2.35, but on his DT 5.1 rims they aren't that huge. They aren't light.....
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/116546.html

OK, that's useful. Gulp you're not kidding about the weight, I think his table tops are 690g, which I thought was heavy but the Minions top that with style. I'd need to think about that, I've been trying to scrub some weight off his bike. You've confirmed what I've read about the sizes though.

I've always used metal levers, though the Park plastic ones I got recently seem pretty sturdy. That's a consideration too, he has to be able to get them off and do his own repairs, in case I'm not with him for whatever reason.

I was thinking about a different compound on the front, so it's interesting to know you've done that.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

True but as I've still got the original tyres on my fifteen year old mtn bike, I'm working from a position of limited experience, so any advice is going to add to my knowledge.

Actually that's a thought. I've never had a problem with my wtb Velociraptors, the back wheel never spins and I've never lost the front, excepting deep sand and mud. The only downside to them is they're a bit slow and draggy and they only make them in 2.1 but....

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I'm thinking those Advantages look like the job Cubist. They seem to fit the rolling resistance, grip, weight and price criteria best. Probably go for the 2.25 size, wired back 70a and a folding front 62a, can't decide on that or the 2.1 in a similar combo, the 2.1's would be a bit cheaper and lighter but not by much.

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
For all-round off roadiness you can't beat (Read that as I prefer) Nobby Nics. They handle most conditions reasonably well and they can be had for half the price as Schwalbes more "specialized" (read heavily marketed) Tyres.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

For all-round off roadiness you can't beat (Read that as I prefer) Nobby Nics. They handle most conditions reasonably well and they can be had for half the price as Schwalbes more "specialized" (read heavily marketed) Tyres.

I saw them recommended a few times. My perception from what I read is that they are a bit draggier then the Advantages.

Looking around I can't see that much difference in price, a few quid cheaper is the best I've managed but then the Maxxis are a good price in ChainReaction.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I saw them recommended a few times. My perception from what I read is that they are a bit draggier then the Advantages.

Looking around I can't see that much difference in price, a few quid cheaper is the best I've managed but then the Maxxis are a good price in ChainReaction.
They grip like demons though. I have Nics on the front and have always trusted the front end. If you don't ride too much gloop Ralphs are OK on the back. More of a hardpack tyre though.

I have some Continental Slash for winter traction. They are a bit draggy, but good horizontal bars for traction and plenty of wet grip. Bit of a compromise.... middle weights but cheap as batons de pomme de terre sautees.....

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
They grip like demons though. I have Nics on the front and have always trusted the front end. If you don't ride too much gloop Ralphs are OK on the back. More of a hardpack tyre though.

Yep. I just resigned my bald Ralph, moved the front, part worn Nic to the back and put a new Nic on the front. I still get hella speed on the hard pack but I got rid of that horrendous drift in tight mucky corners.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Fair enough...

Conti Mountain King ProTection 2.4 (F) & 2.2 (R) when it isn't winter (by my arbitrary definition)

Bontrager XR Mud Team Issue TLR 2.0 (F) & 1.8 (R) when it is.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Right, I think I'm going to go for the Advantages, having exhausted my internet research patience. Why, well for no other reason than they look right and my instincts say they'll suit him. Any of those suggested would be an improvement on the Table Tops he's got now, which if I'd been riding on would have had me off, as I use the brakes a lot more than he does and those tyres just look like slicks in the mud.

Other suggestions are not wasted though as my raptors are coming to the end of their, long, life (I hasten to add they haven't been on the bike for fifteen years). I think a Nic on the front would suit me and something else on the back. I won't get 'raptors again, too draggy and the front squirms and hops on rocks, even though it' very sticky.

So I'm off to press the button on Chainreaction. Thank you all.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

what I want to know is...

How the heck do you get 15 years wear from a pair of tyres....

I don't know. I was trying to work out what mileage they've done, less than a thousand in that time. The bike had my Nimbus tyres on for most of it's life, which even got used for light off road stuff. I've got a funny feeling I had another pair of tyres on it as well, as the 'raptors got lost in the great upheaval of house moves before magically re-appearing in plain sight one day. Ultimately I don't know though, it's probably some kind of record.

I'd say they'd worn more in the last month or two on trails than in the whole of their previous life. Oh yeah, that and I'm a bit heavier than I used to be :whistle:

Top Bottom