Which multitool is best/strongest?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
bonj said:
All multitools i've ever had seem to be made of two 'pins' that have a nut that screw onto the end, and all the tools are looped round one of these pins, and the nut always needs tightening every so often.
What i wouldn't mind knowing is which multitool if any ISN'T of this design, and therefore doesn't bloody fall apart if you forget to tighten the nut which inevitably loosens due to the constant opening and closing of the tools?

Which is why you need two fool. :sad:

Flying_Monkey said:
I don't like the Topeak ones - I used to have an excellent Specialized multitool, now I have a Crank Brothers one, largely because in the shop from which I bought it, it was what I saw that the staff were using to do basic jobs. It is very good.

I don't like the fancy ones, Alien, MacGyver etc but their simple metal bodied 3/4/5/6/PH/torx really is excellent. I'll take a look at the Crank Bros tool though, I like most of what they do.

mondobongo

Über Member
Have had a Crank Brothers 19 for years now with no problems, great bit of kit everything bar a couple of tyre levers. Although never used it to remove pedals.

Abitrary

They sell multitools in just about every supermarket these days, which is just as well as they have camoflage ability unlike anything else I have seen. I've just pulled out 3 from the back of my sofa now.

Abitrary said:
They sell multitools in just about every supermarket these days, which is just as well as they have camoflage ability unlike anything else I have seen. I've just pulled out 3 from the back of my sofa now.

'Cept they are made of cheese and will mash up your bolts.

Abitrary

mickle said:
'Cept they are made of cheese and will mash up your bolts.

Exactly the sort of response I was hoping to elicit, and am just waiting for someone who knows more than me but less than you to take over.

Cool Tools are great. I don't think they make them any more (I certainly can't find one to replace my well - used fifteen year old one), but nothing beats proper full sized tools.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
alecstilleyedye said:
i never use multi-tools at home - surely they're there for roadside emergencies?

I was going to say the same. I have a Topeak multi tool, and very good it is, for roadside repairs of a minor nature. For real repairs you need a good set of tools.

bonj2

Abitrary said:

:biggrin:
know the feeling

I always think to myself when i'm buying one: but this shouldn't be a thing I need to KEEP buying!

Top Bottom