1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which multitool is best/strongest?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Dayvo, 12 Jun 2008.

1. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Have you considered buying a pedal spanner?

3. Alcdrew

Alcdrew Senior Member

4. Dayvo

No! Just wanted to remove the pedal from the crank so that I could use them on a bike I'm borrowing over the weekend on a night time sportive.

5. Dayvo

Yeah, I saw that too! :wacko:

6. redjedi

redjedi Über Member

:wacko: Is that a Wenger in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

7. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

The only way to get a stuck pedal off without breaking all your multitools is with a decent sized spanner.

8. Spanners for peddles.

The best multi tools are made by ToPeak IMO.

9. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

On the multitool front, I have them on all the bikes, and one in the car. That way there's usually on within reach.

So I just use the cheap Decathlon ones. They're about £6 and work fine.

10. Dayvo

Thanks for your replies, fellas!
    Found a spanner, forgot that I had a toolkit! :wacko:
    But both pedals are off, and the saddle for good measure; want to be as comfortable as possible on this borrowed bike.
    I'll have a look st the Topeaks and make an order; one for each bike (two of them) and one at home.

;)

11. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

I don't like the Topeak ones - I used to have an excellent Specialized multitool, now I have a Crank Brothers one, largely because in the shop from which I bought it, it was what I saw that the staff were using to do basic jobs. It is very good.

12. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

All multitools i've ever had seem to be made of two 'pins' that have a nut that screw onto the end, and all the tools are looped round one of these pins, and the nut always needs tightening every so often.
    What i wouldn't mind knowing is which multitool if any ISN'T of this design, and therefore doesn't bloody fall apart if you forget to tighten the nut which inevitably loosens due to the constant opening and closing of the tools?

13. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

i've got a topeak one, which basically is two pieces that have a variety of size of hex and spanner sizes, as well as a spoke key and a shimano compatible chain tool.

14. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

does it come loose?

15. longers

longers Veteran

My Topeak Alien (not sure if they're still made) has never come loose.