Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Giant

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Canyon

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Cube

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I meant the Cannondale (but also goes for the Giant). I'm surprised that a man at 5'8 would be a size small on any flat bar (as with short legs, his reach should be relatively greater due to longer torso)

I would imagine that the stack/reach proportions would be different on a flat bar bike to those on a similar spec drop bar bike.

And his legs aren't that short for somebody at 5' 8". Mine are an inch or two shorter (29" inside leg), and I'm 5' 9". The Cube I have got comes in 6 sizes (so they aren't described as small-medium-large), and I have the 2nd size from bottom at 53cm, which I'm happy is the right size for me. But it isn't a flat bar bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
I would imagine that the stack/reach proportions would be different on a flat bar bike to those on a similar spec drop bar bike.

And his legs aren't that short for somebody at 5' 8". Mine are an inch or two shorter (29" inside leg), and I'm 5' 9". The Cube I have got comes in 6 sizes (so they aren't described as small-medium-large), and I have the 2nd size from bottom at 53cm, which I'm happy is the right size for me. But it isn't a flat bar bike.

They are short to me, mine are 33-34” and I’m 5’9.5!
My roadbikes are all 54-55cm TT with a 90-100mm stem.
When I converted similar (54cm PX roadbike) to a flat bar it was too small even with I think a 150mm stem. I sold to a friend who’s around 5’7.

If you look at the size guides for flat bars, he’d be in the middle height wise for a medium. These are bikes designed for men and thus if you said his legs aren’t that short, the size guide should work

He needs to ride them, we’re all differently proportioned but size guides are generally ok ime, at least if broadly average for the target market

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Would the Giant Fastroad SL1 and the Merida Speeder 400 be suitable for rough, potholed country lanes and roads?
I have no plans or desire to go off-road but the roads I do ride on are rural and poorly maintained as well as frequented by tractors etc.

I don't really want the drag and weight of fat tyres but don't want something so delicate and precious that it gets damaged on anything other than smooth, well maintained tarmac.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I have also been told elsewhere, that the Canyon Roadlite 6 has a more aggressive, forward reaching ride position? Do you agree?

I am also told the Cube SL Road Pro seems more of a Gravel bike with the gear set up (GRX 2x10) being more appropriate to off-road/tracks etc. Also it has fatter more grippy tyres, which may drag and make it harder on roads and up hills? Do you agree?

I have also been advised that even the Giant Fastroad could be too much of an aggressive ride position, compared to the Merida, which looks like the stem is a little higher/more angles upwards than the Giant? Do you agree?

vickster

Legendary Member
I have also been told elsewhere, that the Canyon Roadlite 6 has a more aggressive, forward reaching ride position? Do you agree?

I am also told the Cube SL Road Pro seems more of a Gravel bike with the gear set up (GRX 2x10) being more appropriate to off-road/tracks etc. Also it has fatter more grippy tyres, which may drag and make it harder on roads and up hills? Do you agree?

I have also been advised that even the Giant Fastroad could be too much of an aggressive ride position, compared to the Merida, which looks like the stem is a little higher/more angles upwards than the Giant? Do you agree?

You can always change to thinner slicker tyres, but it’s good to have the option of fatter ones especially when fitting mudguards (the Giant says max 35mm, so less with mudguards).
As long as no knob lies, fatter tyres really don’t make much difference, you’re not going to be racing and you say the roads are rough so comfort more important.
The Canyon looks very low at the front, would be too aggressive for me (and there’s no option to try so if it’s not right it could be an expensive mistake)

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

You can always change to thinner slicker tyres, but it’s good to have the option of fatter ones especially when fitting mudguards (the Giant says max 35mm, so less with mudguards).
As long as no knob lies, fatter tyres really don’t make much difference, you’re not going to be racing and you say the roads are rough so comfort more important.
The Canyon looks very low at the front, would be too aggressive for me (and there’s no option to try so if it’s not right it could be an expensive mistake)
Good points, thanks.
Ref the Canyon, I agree it would be an expensive mistake and I do not want an uncomfortable ride position.

Ref the Cube, are the GRX 400 gears vastly inferior to the 105? I appreciate they are different beasts and intended for differnt uses but I refer to the quality, smoothness/slickness of changes as well as actual ease of riding i.e. hills but not spinning too much downhill?

vickster

Legendary Member
Good points, thanks.
Ref the Canyon, I agree it would be an expensive mistake and I do not want an uncomfortable ride position.

Ref the Cube, are the GRX 400 gears vastly inferior to the 105? I appreciate they are different beasts and intended for differnt uses but I refer to the quality, smoothness/slickness of changes as well as actual ease of riding i.e. hills but not spinning too much downhill?

I've never used GRX400. Your latter point refers to the gearing rather than the kit per se
Someone mentioned something upthread...perhaps tag them with your question :okay:
But you really do need to try them for yourself, are there any LBS with the models you are interested in that you could testride?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I've never used GRX400. Your latter point refers to the gearing rather than the kit per se
Someone mentioned something upthread...perhaps tag them with your question :okay:
But you really do need to try them for yourself, are there any LBS with the models you are interested in that you could testride?
Basically no.....there are not many LBS's in my area and none have any of these models, in my size, in stock.
At this rate I may have to go used from eBay!

Tom...

Veteran
If you buy online, you can return it under the distance selling regulations should it not suit, you most likely won't have this option if you buy used.

vickster

Legendary Member
Basically no.....there are not many LBS's in my area and none have any of these models, in my size, in stock.
At this rate I may have to go used from eBay!

Balfes are a really good London-based LBS chain and stock many brands, have some on offer usually :okay:

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

They do mail order too ;)

Rutland Cycles a big chain in the Midlands, call in advance to see what they have where
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/stores?showMap=true
Sure, that's good but I thought you meant to try them out first.
Yes I know of Rutland Cycling (been to their Peterborough shop when out on business in that area), very helpful guys but very limited stock of mid-range stuff to actually see, let alone try.
I think they have a Nottingham store but it's way over the other side of Nott's from Derby so not a quick trip really. Still I may call them at least to see what they have prior to driving there.

Top Bottom