Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Giant

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Canyon

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Cube

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I wouldn’t mind if most of the folks impulse buying bikes during lockdown were actually using them!

vickster

Legendary Member
I wonder when this ridiculous availability issue will be over?

Probably never as the 2023 models will be out soon with a wait

vickster

Legendary Member
Stocks of the higher end models are kept low as far fewer sell, perhaps look at the price point down, there's minimal difference between say Tiagra and 105 if the gearing is right (if you want a bike this month)

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Buy one of those then and save some money :whistle:
If only they were the right bike, size and price eh? :sad:

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Actually I’m in no mega rush.
I will wait until the stars and planets align.
It’ll all work out in the end. ^_^

Alex321

Veteran
Good points, thanks.
Ref the Canyon, I agree it would be an expensive mistake and I do not want an uncomfortable ride position.

Ref the Cube, are the GRX 400 gears vastly inferior to the 105? I appreciate they are different beasts and intended for differnt uses but I refer to the quality, smoothness/slickness of changes as well as actual ease of riding i.e. hills but not spinning too much downhill?

They shouldn't be "vastly" inferior, but they are a level down.

Road groupsets are (from bottom up) Tourney (rare nowadays), Claris, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace.

GRX400 are equivalent of Tiagra, GRX600 are the equivalent of 105. GRX400/Tiagra only have 10 speed cassette rather than 11, but top & bottom are the same, it just means there will be one point in the middle with a bigger gap between gears.

They may be slightly clunkier to change, but it will only be very slight. The sort of level of difference you would probably only notice when switching immediately between bikes equipped with the differing groupsets.

They shouldn't be "vastly" inferior, but they are a level down.

Road groupsets are (from bottom up) Tourney (rare nowadays), Claris, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace.

GRX400 are equivalent of Tiagra, GRX600 are the equivalent of 105. GRX400/Tiagra only have 10 speed cassette rather than 11, but top & bottom are the same, it just means there will be one point in the middle with a bigger gap between gears.

They may be slightly clunkier to change, but it will only be very slight. The sort of level of difference you would probably only notice when switching immediately between bikes equipped with the differing groupsets.

There's more tourney based bikes sold than all the other Shimano groupsets put together both road and mountain bike. It's their entry level grade of groupset and the average price of a bike in the world is still very low probably less than £100. Even in the UK last figure I saw was an average of £380 including ebikes. Before ebikes I think the figure was sub £200. Looking at Amazon who are now a huge seller of bikes although a long way behind Halfords I believe all their road bikes are entry level with Tourney or worse! Also there are so many tourney components its hard to keep track of them, must be about 20 or so different tourney rear derailleurs. Worth pointing out Halfords sell more bikes than the whole independent bike shop sector put together. £1 in every £4 spent on cycling in the UK is spent in Halfords and that could equate to as much as 40% of bike sales due to their lower pricing. However that said I believe the Carrera Virtuoso was and maybe still is their best selling road bike which is Claris equipped but probably if you add the Zelos (tourney) with the Apollo road bike (tourney) together it could be more. For many a bike is a form of transport they aren't enthusiastic about it, they just commute on them day to day. Normally as groupsets go up in price their market share dwindles hugely because the bikes that are equipped with them are far more expensive and have far less sales. There are probably 100 people willing to spend £2k on a bike compared to one person willing to spend £10k and maybe 100 people willing to spend £300 on a bike for one person willing to spend £2k etc.

Tourney is still a poor choice though but its everywhere on entry level bikes which sell in huge numbers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Road-Bikes/zgbs/sports/550029011

Alex321

Veteran
There's more tourney based bikes sold than all the other Shimano groupsets put together both road and mountain bike. It's their entry level grade of groupset and the average price of a bike in the world is still very low probably less than £100. Even in the UK last figure I saw was an average of £380 including ebikes. Before ebikes I think the figure was sub £200. Looking at Amazon who are now a huge seller of bikes although a long way behind Halfords I believe all their road bikes are entry level with Tourney or worse! Also there are so many tourney components its hard to keep track of them, must be about 20 or so different tourney rear derailleurs. Worth pointing out Halfords sell more bikes than the whole independent bike shop sector put together. £1 in every £4 spent on cycling in the UK is spent in Halfords and that could equate to as much as 40% of bike sales due to their lower pricing. However that said I believe the Carrera Virtuoso was and maybe still is their best selling road bike which is Claris equipped but probably if you add the Zelos (tourney) with the Apollo road bike (tourney) together it could be more. For many a bike is a form of transport they aren't enthusiastic about it, they just commute on them day to day. Normally as groupsets go up in price their market share dwindles hugely because the bikes that are equipped with them are far more expensive and have far less sales. There are probably 100 people willing to spend £2k on a bike compared to one person willing to spend £10k and maybe 100 people willing to spend £300 on a bike for one person willing to spend £2k etc.

Tourney is still a poor choice though but its everywhere on entry level bikes which sell in huge numbers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Road-Bikes/zgbs/sports/550029011

Very true. I should have said "rare except on supermarket or low entry level bikes".

Or anything above what many here would call a BSO :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
All the bikes the OP has listed are over a grand, so very much out of BSO territory (especially for an alu framed rigid fork flatbar)

Top Bottom