Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Giant

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Canyon

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Cube

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

The difference in so called speed between each will be so minimal, its not even worth considering.
Comfort, comfort comfort, then equipment. :okay:

If I can ride at 21mph for 80 miles on a titanium framed tourer geometry road bike. you don't need an aggressive setup
Absolutely, it’s all about comfort for me, but whilst still being able to get some serious workouts and a little bit of a shift on if I want to.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Bit of a wild card, I’m popping to have a look at the new Boardman Hybrid 8.9 tomorrow.
The 1x12 with the latest Deore set up.
Worth a look I thought.

The Merida Speeder 400 was not yet in the store so my trip to see it was postponed for another week.

vickster

Legendary Member
Perhaps but the LBS in question thought not. Question though, If I did go to a small, that may reduce the reach but wouldn’t it also increase the drop to the bars due to the frame being smaller? I mean I’d still need to get the seat height up enough to get my legs right on the pedals?

Check the geometry charts.
Historically Boardmans have come up big so try both sizes

I like the Boardman, only reservation is the gearing on such a nippy hybrid, effectively 'losing' one of the most used gears, so:

14-15-17-19-21 - 34T (x2 compact chainset)

14-16-18-21 - 51T (x1)

Lots of personal preference and views on this, but thats my two penneth.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I sat on the new Boardman Hybrid 8.9 today and the medium was too big.
The cross bar provided too much ‘support’ for the old jewels!

CXRAndy

Guru

Have you considered the Womens version HYB8.8 it will have lower cross bar. You may find medium or large is better suited

vickster

Legendary Member

Do you ride on the crossbar? How did it feel otherwise size wise, reach?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Have you considered the Womens version HYB8.8 it will have lower cross bar. You may find medium or large is better suited

No I haven’t, I suppose it’s something to consider, generally speaking what are the differences between mens and womens other than cross bar height?

vickster

Legendary Member
No I haven’t, I suppose it’s something to consider, generally speaking what are the differences between mens and womens other than cross bar height?

Stack height can be different (and the sizing labels!) I don’t think other than step through models that bar height is necessarily different (cross tube height has never been a concern for me at least)
The Boardman site should have geometry charts?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Do you ride on the crossbar? How did it feel otherwise size wise, reach?

No, but all the LBS’s use that as a guide to frame size compatibility, and I’m told there should be some space between your ‘undercarriage’ and the frame when straddling the frame.
Is that not correct?
Otherwise it was hard to tell as it wasn’t set up for me and I couldn’t ride it. The store was busy so they didn’t have time to do all that.

vickster

Legendary Member
No, but all the LBS’s use that as a guide to frame size compatibility, and I’m told there should be some space between your ‘undercarriage’ and the frame when straddling the frame.
Is that not correct?
Otherwise it was hard to tell as it wasn’t set up for me and I couldn’t ride it. The store was busy so they didn’t have time to do all that.

Length of the top tube is the important bit IMO.
some space is desirable I guess, but it’s less important on a road bike than a mountain bike where you’re less likely to come off the saddle and also less important for women perhaps! Were you wearing your cycling kit when trying it (Ie what you would usually wear when cycling).
Go on a weekday, a quiet Tuesday morning or similar. It may just not be right bike, and as I said, IME Boardmans come up big, try a small if it’s the one you want
Halfords don’t do on road test rides, a local independent is likely more accommodating

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Yeah I suspect you’re right, I think the small on a Boardman and (if I can find one in that size within reasonable driving distance) to go when it’s quieter.
I also think that I need it setting up for me, even if only at a basic level (saddle height and back/forward adjustments) I’m order to really know, and even better to have a ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah I suspect you’re right, I think the small on a Boardman and (if I can find one in that size within reasonable driving distance) to go when it’s quieter.
I also think that I need it setting up for me, even if only at a basic level (saddle height and back/forward adjustments) I’m order to really know, and even better to have a ride.

That’s pretty simple to do. Whether Halfords will oblige probably depends on the store (they won’t on the riding bit though)

Top Bottom