Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Giant

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Canyon

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Cube

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

As for whether full mud guards would spoil the look? I'd say that was a matter of personal perspective? Mine says it would.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am tempted, I really am, I just want to make sure I don't regret it when I have to stop suddenly, go to place my feet on the ground and crush my nuts!

Why would you need to do that? Personally when I stop, I just lean the bike to one side and stay seated, usually with my left foot on the pavement if possible. And padded shorts should stop any permanent damage if you do land on the crossbar, but you'll likely do yourself more damage elsewhere if you crash or get hit!

If that concerned, get something else :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
As for whether full mud guards would spoil the look? I'd say that was a matter of personal perspective? Mine says it would.

Fair enough, you'll need a different bike or bodge or go without it seems - what did the LBS suggest ?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Why would you need to do that? Personally when I stop, I just lean the bike to one side and stay seated, usually with my left foot on the pavement if possible. And padded shorts should stop any permanent damage if you do land on the crossbar, but you'll likely do yourself more damage elsewhere if you crash or get hit!

If that concerned, get something else :okay:
Fair point, I'm a novice so just assume I'd need to get both feet quickly planted on the ground for an emergency stop. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Fair enough, you'll need a different bike or bodge or go without it seems - what did the LBS suggest ?

To be honest, If I can be reassured ref the top tube thingy, (trust me I want to be) I'd be buying it, regardless of the trivial mud guard scenario.
The bike shop were very fair and are holding the bike for a couple of weeks for me to decide, but basically seemed to suggest it was not ideal but was OK. However, I don't want it to be a case of Cinderella's slipper!

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Any thoughts on the Tektro vs Shimano hydraulic disc brake 'upgrade' i.e. is it an upgrade or just snobbery?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Fair point, I'm a novice so just assume I'd need to get both feet quickly planted on the ground for an emergency stop. Perhaps I'm wrong.

when most people stop (emergency sudden or leisurely), you unclip (or remove) one foot (usually left) possibly hop off the saddle, lean the bike to one side and stop with your weight on your left / unclipped / removed foot. Your knackers should be nowhere near the cross bar

stop faffing and get it bought

edited to not offend @vickster :okay: semantics - the point being it seems rare to leap off the saddle and plant 2 feet on the ground exactly straddling the crossbar

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
when most people stop (emergency sudden or leisurely), you unclip one foot (usually left) possibly hop off the saddle, lean the bike to one side and stop with your weight on your left / unclipped foot. Your knackers should be nowhere near the cross bar

stop faffing and get it bought

Or just take your foot off the pedal...not everyone uses clipless :okay:

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

All good points, thanks.
A thought, perhaps a silly oner but....I straddled the bike in chinos and fairly flat brogue work shoes.
Would wearing bike shoes (MTB hybrid trainers actually) have thicker soles and add some height for a little more 'confidence' in the stand over?

This is the problem with research. You generate that many questions but get few solid answers.

My advice if the lbs think the sizing is an issue - take that advice.

If still in doubt go for the cheapest.

I was quite lucky buying a frame earlier in the year - there wasn't much choice !!!!!! - I just had the small medium dilemma.

Either I'd make your decision pretty soon - your going to go over and over with no benefit. Sure £1k is a serious wedge of cash. But all the bikes are decent - and the niggles will be minor ones.

Should the very worst happen and you don't get on with it (highly unlikely imo) - you can recoup most of your money by selling it on.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

It's confusing as some say standover clearenbce of at l;east 1" is critical, and othrs that it isn't.....you can see why newbies get confused.
We have to bear in mind thatthe LBS want to sell the bike so, nice as they are (and they are) they are a little biased in their advice perhaps? Maybee I do them a dis-service though.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's confusing as some say standover clearenbce of at l;east 1" is critical, and othrs that it isn't.....you can see why newbies get confused.
We have to bear in mind thatthe LBS want to sell the bike so, nice as they are (and they are) they are a little biased in their advice perhaps? Maybee I do them a dis-service though.

I’m suspect you are very much overthinking. Have they actually allowed you to ride the bike even just round the block? If not, I’d find an LBS that does offer the service especially on a 1k bike
If you don’t ride it and lack confidence to buy without doing so, you won’t buy and it’ll then be winter…

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

You’re right I do tend to overthink.
However it is important that I am comfortable on the bike.
I’m riding it on Friday, not in brogues either!:okay:

How tall are you ?

Is that the only size the bike comes in - or the only size the shop have ? - If the latter don't buy it - ask them to get the correct size ......or find a shop/supplier that can.

Top Bottom