Which non usb light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Can anybody provide suggestions for front lights that use AA or AAA batteries rather than an internal rechargable cell?

Can anybody provide suggestions for front lights that use AA or AAA batteries rather than an internal rechargable cell?
Are these just light to be seen or to see in dark country lanes?

OP
OP
RoadRider400

RoadRider400

It will be one to light up unlit cycleways and paths.

I can amend the requirement slightly in that the USB lights I have previously used have the below type of wire and the socket on the battery starts to get slack and causes charging to be intermittent. Any USB light with a more solid and tactile cable attachment point is also an option; I tend to find the circular attachments more relaible on other devices.

Attachments

• cable.png
    cable.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 1
It will be one to light up unlit cycleways and paths.

I can amend the requirement slightly in that the USB lights I have previously used have the below type of wire and the socket on the battery starts to get slack and causes charging to be intermittent. Any USB light with a more solid and tactile cable attachment point is also an option; I tend to find the circular attachments more relaible on other devices.
In that case (doesn't sound like deep country) I would look on the bay for one of the 4xAA Lidl lights which they sold before they went to USB.
They usually mount on a fairly common mount that was also ue for lots of "smart" branded lights. They are available in various LUX ratings.

Congrats for going the non-usb route - I assume you are using rechargeables and have a decent charger that will treat the cells well?

otherwise you are going to struggle with front lights these days.
Certainly USB internal cells have become the more common :sad:

BM used to make several using AA cells - of course these have the pro of a proper shaped beam.

I bought another (cheaper, but solid!) one recently-ish, will try to find the receipt.

Other option: a "torch" type device. They have pros-n-cons, but there are a HYOOOOOGE variety available out there, different lumens, runtimes, modes .. Fenix are my go-to brand.

Last edited:

CaptainWheezy

Über Member
If you just want something with a more durable charge socket, depending on your budget, have a look at some of the bigger Exposure lights. They have a barrel type charge connector which is much more robust but they're a bit pricy. No problem seeing where you're going with them though!

simongt

Guru
otherwise you are going to struggle with front lights these days.
Indeed. I eventuallly gave up and installed a front dynohub. Always there when needed, no dead dags or duff charger to worry about and free lighting - ! :okay:

OP
OP
RoadRider400

RoadRider400

Thank you all for a very comprehensive list of options to consider. I have decided to rule out anything above the £50 sort of price range because I am not out and about that much and the usual route is only a few miles. Unfortunately it seems that there are no new lights sold with detachable batteries for sensible money so I will go with the Ebay idea and seek out a used light.

To answer an earlier question yes I am using rechargeables for all my AA battery devices these days.

Scratch that I have stumbled upon a company who still sell AA based lights and the reviews seem good so I might be in luck.

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've had a Hope Vision 1 on the front (four AA batteries) for the last 12 years. With a decent set of rechargeable Eneloop batteries and a good charger, it's been bomb-proof. In town, I tend to stick to the lowest possible setting to stop annoying other road users. I don't know how bright anybody's front light needs to be out in the daft world of rocks and stumps, but you really don't need a light that could shoot down a B17 bomber at twenty thousand feet when cruising around a city.

Last edited:

cheys03

Veteran
Another vote for an IXON Premium. I have a couple and broke the catch on one dropping it. Busch & müller sent me 3 spares free of charge after enquiring about the cost of a replacement (part ‘Verschlussknopf 492VK’). For that reason alone they’ll always get my vote.

The external charger should help, if using one then it’d be temping to keep the lid reinforced shut with some insulation tape.
The light can sometimes rattle on the handlebar mount, some padding with tape will help though.

Beam pattern is brill

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Might it also be worth looking at torches (with an appropriate mount) that take 18650 batteries? These Li-Ion batteries give a much better energy density than the NiMH chemistry you'll find in rechargeable AA / AAAs, and should still give you all the benefits you're looking for (ability to swap on the fly, device doesn't have to be removed to recharge, lifespan isn't tied to the life of the battery...).

Going with a torch also makes it viable to use off-bike too.. I guess you'd need to be a bit savvy about beam pattern selection etc if going for an item not expressly designed for cycling use.

The only other bit of advice I can give is to ensure that whatever you buy has a voltage reg as it's not fun when the light gradually dims over the course of your ride until you can't see anything!

Might it also be worth looking at torches (with an appropriate mount) that take 18650 batteries? These Li-Ion batteries give a much better energy density than the NiMH chemistry you'll find in rechargeable AA / AAAs, and should still give you all the benefits you're looking for (ability to swap on the fly, device doesn't have to be removed to recharge, lifespan isn't tied to the life of the battery...).

Going with a torch also makes it viable to use off-bike too.. I guess you'd need to be a bit savvy about beam pattern selection etc if going for an item not expressly designed for cycling use.
Yes, the beam pattern is their biggest drawback - it's basically conical, all the fine-tuning and shopping around won't change that. (Although I have done loads of long night audax riding with my cheap ones).

18650s? Yup, technically a fair bit better than AAs. But have some cons - availabiltiy, need a separate charger.
Just carrying slightly more spare AAs gives you pretty much the same capacity/performance metrics. Still, they are an option :smile:

Top Bottom