Which 'normal sized' folder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roger Saunders

Regular
I have a Dahon Jetstream P8. A much better ride than my Brompton but not nearly as good a fold. I use it as a portable replacement for the Dawes Horizon I gave to my son.

byegad

Legendary Member
I had a Dahon Matrix-V which was a great bike but the fold was hopeless. Frankly the space it took up folded was not much less than a normal bike with the wheels off and so I hardly ever folded it except at work where, folded and both wheels and frame locked to a Sheffield Stand, it was very secure, all with one lock.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Dont know but I am interested too in reviews from current owners. Am thinking of getting one too, to add to the Dahon Jetstream P8 I have already, which is a bit heavy, but fun. The Terns seem to be quite light so I assume super quick and great up hills

Estheroid

Regular
Hello! Tern Link P9 owner here. Have had the bike for about 3 months now, so still (relatively) early days. I use the bike to supplement my train journey into London - tend to ride for about 3 miles, pick up the train then cycle into work once I've reached Central London, then the reverse of that on the way home. That's when I can't be faffed doing the 22 mile round trip on the regular bike ^_^

My first impressions were pretty good even on the test ride. I tried the Tern and a couple of Bromptons but just couldn't get on with the ride of the Brompton. The Tern is a much comfier ride though I appreciate that the fold is less neat. However, as I bought it primarily for how it rides, I'm happy, and if faced with complete public transport meltdown I wouldn't be too worried about doing the 11 miles home on it.

The gears and brakes feel really nice and solid, and *touches wood* the tyres supplied (Schwalbe Marathon Supremes) have been great. I'm actually surprised with how nice the grip shift gears feel - I think I last had a bike with grip shifters when I owned a Raleigh Grifter XL as a kid :laugh: . I took the rack off which has lightened it slightly, but left the mudguards on, and replaced the saddle with a Brooks B17 - I wasn't overly keen on the saddle supplied. The bike itself folds pretty quickly, and the latches have a nice sense of solidity about them.

Ride wise, it's super comfy, and pretty nippy too. The 20" wheels don't feel too twitchy (IMHO), gearing seems fine (no problems on hills so far, it seems to handle the steep spiral footbridge over the railway line ok!) and I've even managed to scalp a few folk (*evil laugh*). All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

Wilsy27

Dahon matrix 2009 owner here! Bought it to fold and take on the train to work originally, then a few months back took part in the London to Brighton and part of my preparation was to cycle to work which I did a couple of times (35mile round trip). My season ticket was running out so I decided not to renew it and instead commute by bike most days and so far it's done a good job!

I have had an issue with the bolts on the headset not being durable for a part that is meant to be undone and done up lots (the bolt itself sheared when tightening it once...I must have over tightened it and the othe time the same bolt round off meaning I could undo it to take the handlebar off when folded using the supplied Allen key.

Touch wood, so far I have not had a problem with the lockjaw mechanism or the spokes (which I've heard can be problematic in this model but may have been fixed mid season by the time mine had come out)

Came with continental sport contact tyres which have been fab and roll nice and quick on the road

The handlebar is a odd shape and has obscure diameter to it so there's only a small section where you can add lights, Arizound etc

Top Bottom