Which of the retired pros will be missed the most in 2018?

Who will be missed most

• Contador

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Boonen

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Voeckler

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Voeckler. Tommy V. was a great attacking rider who, on his day, showed what was it was to give it all for a chance of a win.

I'll still always harbour the suspicion that Voeckler sandbagged a lot of his career in favour of being the housewifes favourite. I'll miss Contador's attacking style and Booned in the Classics, so all of them really.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'll still always harbour the suspicion that Voeckler sandbagged a lot of his career in favour of being the housewifes favourite.

Suspicion? I thought it was a well-known fact. Voeckler was always a hugely talented rider but learned early on in his career that being a show pony is a lot less work than actually trying to win races. Anyway, I don't know how we're going to 'miss' someone in the 2018 season who was pretty much totally anonymous for the whole of the 2017 season.

I've voted for Boonen but I think I'll miss Contador as well, for all his faults.

Is anyone going to miss Andrew Talansky?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Voeckler, partly because he wasn't caught on drugs like the other two (Contador still disputes his I think? and Boonen not performance-enhancing), but also for the sheer class of extending with Europcar in 2011 to save his teammates - he wasn't exactly working cheap on a salary of €420k but I think that was rumoured to be half Cofidis's offer.

I won't miss Ned Boulting pronouncing Voeckler's name though.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
To be fair to Voeckler, I think he wasn't caught because there was nothing to catch. And maybe that's one of the reasons his results never truly reflected his potential.
I'll agree when we're a few years on with no retrospective positive or credible accusations from former teammates or staff. Been burned too many times.

Top Bottom