Which of these 3 shoes for a single-speed hipster?

Which of these 3 based purely on looks?

Votes: 7 26.9%

Votes: 9 34.6%

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I wonder how @potsy is getting on with his shoe choice? I've got my new shoes on and I'm ready for a bike ride, a bike ride......

upload_2015-9-16_12-26-21.png
upload_2015-9-16_12-26-59.png

Very 'normal' appearance and comfortable for walking in. Could easily pass as a regular active outdoors type shoe. The Vibram sole seems to be the same item used on Potsy's choice #2. Cleats are fitted and don't touch the floor when walking and a short ride up the road confirms I have them in the right place so just need to start using them now. I still have 3 unopened packets of cleats in the cupboard even after fitting a new set to these shoes, I really must stop buying so many pedals :blush:

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
They actually quite suit your 'image' ,with me being much more young and trendy I am veering towards choice number 1 :whistle:

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I wonder how @potsy is getting on with his shoe choice? I've got my new shoes on and I'm ready for a bike ride, a bike ride......

View attachment 103941 View attachment 103942

Very 'normal' appearance and comfortable for walking in. Could easily pass as a regular active outdoors type shoe. The Vibram sole seems to be the same item used on Potsy's choice #2. Cleats are fitted and don't touch the floor when walking and a short ride up the road confirms I have them in the right place so just need to start using them now. I still have 3 unopened packets of cleats in the cupboard even after fitting a new set to these shoes, I really must stop buying so many pedals :blush:
Are they Shimano MT71s? How's the fit on them?

I tend to need quite a wide fitting, so tend to end up going at least a size larger as I've yet to find a wide fit shoe that actually is.

Russell

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Are they Shimano MT71s? How's the fit on them?

I tend to need quite a wide fitting, so tend to end up going at least a size larger as I've yet to find a wide fit shoe that actually is.

Russell
Yes, MT71s and I am loving them.
Great for walking in, almost like a normal quality outdoor shoe except obviously the sole is stiffer. I fitted the cleats and was worried that without the sole insert that fills the cleat opening they would feel less normal but this isn't the case. What did impress me was the fit of the Gore-Tex liner. I popped out the insole to see if there was any need for a sticker over the inside of the cleat opening to seal against the elements like in normal Shimano shoes but the liner is a perfectly fitted sock with nice stitching to ensure a good fit.

As far as fit goes, these are as close to real world sizes as I have experienced in a cycle shoe. I am officially a 45 or 46 and these are a snug fit at 46. I have gambled slightly as the 47 was a good fit too but had a touch too much toe wriggle room. I like a close fit and the 46 is just bordering on too tight with my normal thick socks. The problem is that most shoes I have owned have stretched slightly once worn for a couple of months and I hate it when a shoe starts out great then ends up too big once it is too late to change them. I reckon these will be the best cycle shoe I have ever owned once they are worn in.

I ordered 3 sizes from Chain reaction and wore the contenders in the house for about 1hr each before deciding which to keep and which to return.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Well 7 months later I finally ordered my shoes, will keep you guessing as to which I ordered in the end.

Pics to follow when the postman brings them.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Top one on looks as they are most feminine ;), but you'd be better off with Giro for example
Well I went for the less feminine version of the above, finally ^_^
They match most of my bikes and more importantly my socks.

That's my shoe saga sorted, just need @Accy cyclist to sort himself out now :whistle:

20160411_132011.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well I went for the less feminine version of the above, finally ^_^
They match most of my bikes and more importantly my socks.

That's my shoe saga sorted, just need @Accy cyclist to sort himself out now :whistle:

View attachment 124498
They do not have anywhere near as much 'flair' as the original propositions. I feel you have back-pedalled somewhat from the brave suggestions you had teased us with and the end result is much more suitable. I'm glad you saw sense :okay:

Top Bottom