Which of these bikes do you the jury consider best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So a friend wants a road bike (he has a tourer) and he has a shortlist of 'actually' available bikes in his size, and a bike due soon, all the bikes he's considering are to be 2x11, 105 (non series crank/discs ok) hydro brakes, through axle, drop bars, aluminium ideally, £2.2K tops but the thinking is a 10% discount might apply soon due to new models, so budget is really £2K. Do any of them have half decent wheels (not the Giant for sure).

He tried a Cube Attain but the quality was poor, Merida Scultura 400 Endurance looks good, but doesnt appear to exist (and the 4000 is plastic).

So in stock and available we have:-
Giant Contend SL1 Disc (size L is recommended, but XL looks smaller than current bike?)
Scott Speester 10 (is cable hidden in stem a liabilty, how is it boxed?)
Domane AL5
Emonda ALR5 (too racy for a tourer user?)
and available soon
Canyon Endurance 7 (pretty colour :whistle:)

Attached is the geometry of each and includes existing bike figures for comaprison.

Attachments

• Sizing.png
    Sizing.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 2

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All much of a muchness. Get one he likes best (eg colour) and fits.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
So why does he ask if the Emonda is ‘too racy for tourer use’?

He said tourer user, slightly different. i.e. someone coming from a tourer type bike I think he meant.

I have to admit I find all these what bike threads a bit strange, but maybe it's just me. If I'm considering a new bike I know what type of bike I am looking for, what gearing I require, etc and doubt whether random comments from a forum would influence me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have to admit I find all these what bike threads a bit strange, but maybe it's just me. If I'm considering a new bike I know what type of bike I am looking for, what gearing I require, etc and doubt whether random comments from a forum would influence me.
Totally agree.
I've always known what bike(s) I wanted. There or there about's. I have bought a couple of bikes that I wish I hadn't, but that's the name of the game.

OP
OP
N
The bike specs are there as regards gears/brakes/wheels so it is any opinion on the frames listed (or manufacturer in general?) all the bikes are supposed to fit the user (6'1") according to size guide, even both Contend are geometry wise similar to current tourer.

So, how can anyone one know what you 'think' (as in shortlist) is correct?
Test riding a bike is easy to do, but any road bike after riding a tourer will always feel different, twitchy, over geared etc so bike feel on a short test ride isn't much of a test at all, and we all know people riding what they thought they wanted. We've asked locally and the listed bikes are those suggested by people - who chop and change bikes all the time...
I'd trust a lot of folks opinions on here more than most local riders!

Top Bottom