Which of these bikes do you the jury consider best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N
If I had 2k to spend with similar requirements I would have a Titanium Hurricane SRAM Force from Planet X. Great value at £1799.
£https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXHURFOR22/planet-x-hurricane-sram-force-22-titanium-road-bike

He'd have one of them except it's SRAM, me too come to that, no paint to scuff, scratches disappear after a run with a pan scourer ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Well it's a whole new maintenance learning curve for me, and not sure I like the shift action either, no actually I don't like it.
Little chain peg is OK though.

Isn’t the bike for someone else though? 🤷‍♀️

I don’t like Shimano personally (I’m in the process of de-Shimanofying my 🦄) but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t suggest a bike with it to anyone else!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It always amazes me how people ask total strangers about what bike to buy and they are spending 2k+ ........

If I was spending that kind of money I am pretty sure that I would be road testing bikes that were in consideration and making my own judgement

Alex321

Veteran
It always amazes me how people ask total strangers about what bike to buy and they are spending 2k+ ........

If I was spending that kind of money I am pretty sure that I would be road testing bikes that were in consideration and making my own judgement

Road testing is often not an option with the current bike shortage. Your LBS is not going to have a selection of £2K road bikes, you'll be lucky if they have any.

When I bought in August last year, my only option was mail order, and I don't think things have improved much since.

I've had Shimano since my third bike in the 80s.
I remember when SRAM was launched and I was sure they'd fail. Who needs a third group set manufacturer ?

Now most of my bikes are SRAM.

Learning new maintenance isn't a reason to stay with Shimano as Shimano change stuff over the years so you still need to learn new things for that.

Occasionally you'll fluff a gear change when you forget which bike you're on but SRAM stuff is at least as good as Shimano if not better.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Road testing is often not an option with the current bike shortage. Your LBS is not going to have a selection of £2K road bikes, you'll be lucky if they have any.

When I bought in August last year, my only option was mail order, and I don't think things have improved much since.

Oh well it's a good job I am not the one buying then ^_^

YellowV2

Veteran
So this friend has a number of likes/dislikes but doesn't have an idea of which bike?
Surely they would go and find somewhere who has the models listed and have a test ride, if not available to test don't buy.
You cannot seriously ask someone else which is most suitable for another person. What is their favourite colour? Is it the same as mine, who knows?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
There are pros and cons to Sram. I prefer the shifting, it tends to be lighter at the same price point, but the BB's are a bit crap and I have had more failures with Sram components than with Shimano. All that said my last 50,000 miles have been on Sram shod bikes so it has me hooked. As said though the guy buying the bike should try the different options and see what he likes.

I wouldn't bank on price cuts either; many brands won't be changing models too much at the moment until things properly settle down with parts/shipping and factory slots.

We have no incoming dates for some Genesis bikes at the moment and recently had an enquiry about a custom Ridley that would have been delivered in 2024! The frameset would be available March next year though :smile:.

OP
OP
N
Isn’t the bike for someone else though? 🤷‍♀️

I don’t like Shimano personally (I’m in the process of de-Shimanofying my 🦄) but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t suggest a bike with it to anyone else!

I do the maintenance, on my and a few friends bikes, so only I need to know the differences.
Bike is for someone else, tbut I said I don't like SRAM either - I thought that implied that neither of us like it.

Top Bottom