Which of these is most 'relaxed/upright'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I'm guessing whilst it's still advertised as a 250watt motor the actual output under load is less. The Ribble one was crawling up a hill whereas the Giant flew up - and it wasn't the riders either: they were both old and decrepit :laugh:

Was one a hub motor and the other a mid-drive? Assuming both were 250W motors in good order, that's the only difference that could account for the discrepancy. A hub motor will turn at wheel speed, and the slower you go, the more the motor drops out of its efficient speed range and starts to struggle. A crank-drive motor will turn at the same speed as the rider pedals (benefiting from gearing changes as the gradient increases) and is more likely to be kept in its 'sweet spot' but the rider.

My Wisper (hub motor) breezes along at 15 mph on the flat and feels unstoppable, but on a 10% hill, if I don't pedal quite hard to keep the speed up (say around 8-10 mph), it quickly starts to get noisy and the assistance starts to diminish. Personally, I don't mind this, but it is a significant difference between the way the two types climb. My wife's Motus (mid-drive) was a much better climber.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Why not? Crap motor?

Neither motor is crap, they are designed differently.

The Ribble has the 'light assist' Ebikemotion hub motor, hence its lighter weight.

The Giant has the 'full assist' Yamaha crank motor, hence its greater weight, and it needs a bigger capacity (heavier) battery to power it for any useful distance.

Hub or crank drive is irrelevant in this case.

There are plenty of hub motors which are 'full assist', and even more powerful but not road legal in the UK.

Crank motors dominate the full assist market, particularly EMTBs.

Woosh offer a few hub drive bikes with full assist motors, usually the Bafang BPM, known in ebike circles as 'Big Powerful Motor', because it is.

The Suntour hub drive fitted to Halfords Carrera bikes is also pokey, having slightly more grunt than the crank drives from the likes of Bosch and Yamaha.

Most of the Wisper hub bikes use an Aikema motor, which is somewhere in between.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Was one a hub motor and the other a mid-drive? Assuming both were 250W motors in good order, that's the only difference that could account for the discrepancy. A hub motor will turn at wheel speed, and the slower you go, the more the motor drops out of its efficient speed range and starts to struggle. A crank-drive motor will turn at the same speed as the rider pedals (benefiting from gearing changes as the gradient increases) and is more likely to be kept in its 'sweet spot' but the rider.

My Wisper (hub motor) breezes along at 15 mph on the flat and feels unstoppable, but on a 10% hill, if I don't pedal quite hard to keep the speed up (say around 8-10 mph), it quickly starts to get noisy and the assistance starts to diminish. Personally, I don't mind this, but it is a significant difference between the way the two types climb. My wife's Motus (mid-drive) was a much better climber.
Well I lost that thread didn't I.
If anyone feels inclined to answering my original question please feel free ^_^^_^^_^

si_c

Guru
Of the two I'd say the CGR AL e is the more upright bike - stack/reach of 589/380 versus 541/390 on the Endurance SL in size Medium assuming you want a road bike.

Not the entire story of course, but certainly a starting point, to my mind would be worth a trip into Lancashire just to get your leg over them if you can to see for yourself.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
@DCLane suggested that the hybrid is more upright which was your question :whistle:
Right.
Didn't catch that.
Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Right.
Didn't catch that.
Thanks.
But you still need to see for yourself
Are you certain the neck pain isnt due to being overstretched rather than too low?
Do you ride with a helmet? That can cause issues with neck craning

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
But you still need to see for yourself
Are you certain the neck pain isnt due to being overstretched rather than too low?
Do you ride with a helmet? That can cause issues with neck craning
Old age me thinks.
It started a few years ago. It would come on at eg 45 miles, then 35 miles, then 25 miles.
Not over stretched for sure.
I do ride with a helmet

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Why not? Crap motor?
no - motors have all different torque settings, the higher the torque the better it climbs....

the orbea has 40nm of torque
the giant has 75/80nm of torque - so will pull much easier and faster uphill, upto the 15.5mph limit

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'm guessing whilst it's still advertised as a 250watt motor the actual output under load is less. The Ribble one was crawling up a hill whereas the Giant flew up - and it wasn't the riders either: they were both old and decrepit :laugh:
its due to the level of torque each motor puts out

orbea 40nm
giant 75/80nm........so will pull easier and faster upto 15.5mph

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Dave7 looks like you would be better off going in store and seeing if you could try both out .

And either way a 10 minute road test is not always going to give the answer , shame there isn't someone local to you who would let you have a good test ride on one ^_^

Top Bottom