Which Of These Is The Right Tube? What's The Difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crevice

I getting my new bike prepped and "stocked" with needed equipment. I'm going to carry 2 spare inner tubes. I've been looking around and I'm probably going with Schwalbe. I have 700x42c. Both the AV17 (700 x 28-47c) and the AV19 (700 x 40-62C) seem to fit. They both have the same rating on Amazon. There are more details listed in the specific tube links although I posted the sizes here that are on the Schwalbe website search results.

Thoughts?

In your opinion, what is the best puncture resistant schrader tube for a 28" 700x42c hybrid?

-x-28-45c-28-27-Schrader-Valve-2-Pack-182544362718.jpg

be-mtb-schrader-valve-tube-27.5-29%20x%202.00-2.40.jpg

strada-expx4-mttig-21-01-01-01.jpeg

Last edited:
I getting my new bike prepped and "stocked" with needed equipment. I'm going to carry 2 spare inner tubes. I've been looking around and I'm probably going with Schwalbe. I have 700x42c. Both the AV17 (700 x 28-47c) and the AV19 (700 x 40-62C) seem to fit. They both have the same rating on Amazon. There are more details listed in the specific tube links although I posted the sizes here that are on the Schwalbe website search results.

Thoughts?

View attachment 619717

View attachment 619718

View attachment 619719

View attachment 619720
They wheels look like you may need longer valves and are you sure they are drilled for Schrader valves and not presta ?

Pros and cons:-
If you're not careful it's slightly easier to catch and puncture the fatter innertube when fitting it.
But once in the fatter innertube doesn't need to expand as much to fill a tyre, so there's a fractionally better chance of just getting a slow puncture verses an instant deflate when thing do go wrong.
Plus the fatter innertube is heavier and you'll be 0.001 mph slower if fitted ........ :laugh:

Luck ............ ^_^

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

I was thinking about adding rim tape and tire liner to both wheels with the tubes in between. I imagine that would really extend the life of the tubes and decrease any tube repairs.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't know about tyre liners but you really do need rim tape. It stops the end of the spokes jabbing into the tube, I'm told. Personally, I prefer plastic rather than fabric rim tape because I think it enables you to shuffle a tight tyre bead round the well of the wheel more easily when trying to get a tyre back on the rim after a puncture.

Especially when your hands are cold, it's raining, and it's dark.:cry:

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

I don't know about tyre liners but you really do need rim tape. It stops the end of the spokes jabbing into the tube, I'm told. Personally, I prefer plastic rather than fabric rim tape because I think it enables you to shuffle a tight tyre bead round the well of the wheel more easily when trying to get a tyre back on the rim after a puncture.

Especially when your hands are cold, it's raining, and it's dark.:cry:

I was looking at Mr. Tuffy products. They have pretty good reviews on Amazon.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you're talking about puncture resistance it really doesn't matter, it's the tyres that make all the difference there. Which will be revealed in the fullness of time :smile:

jay clock

Massive member
go for the av17. the av19 is usable but a lot bigger and harder to fit,

make sure you get the right valve version (the pic shows Shrader) in case your rims are only drilled for Presta

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The bigger (av19) one may take up marginally more space. If you have limited space for your on road spares and tools (eg in a saddle pack or something) this could be important

Ajax Bay

Guru
I suggest all butyl tubes have roughly the same level of 'puncture resistance'. Why do you think Schwalbe tubes are 'better'? Please share any research on this. Puncture resistance is provided by the tyre (and obviously you need rim tape).
"Rating on Amazon"! Don't make me laugh.

I myself would go for the fatter innertube.
The right amount of air in the tube before fitting will counteract the increased risk of a pinch puncture due to the tubes size.
So I lean more towards the slight increased chance of a slow puncture that will let you get home without repairing it camp.
Even though it is only a very very small increased chance of making it home.

As for the use of a puncture resistant tyre liner, it depends on which tyre you have fitted.
I've used them in the past.
But a lot of good quality modern tyres already have a puncture resistant layer build into them so a separate liner is not really needed.
So if you have a tyre without a built in layer then it may be helpful to use one, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Luck .......... ^_^

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

If you're talking about puncture resistance it really doesn't matter, it's the tyres that make all the difference there. Which will be revealed in the fullness of time :smile:

Of course the tire is the first line of defense but I don't plan on discarding the ones that came on the bike. They aren't the exact brand that was mentioned in the listing but they did mention if certain tires are unavailable equal quality replacement tires would be used. So if I did get a flat and had tire liner which is inexpensive, that could be applied to reinforce the tire until I replaced them, why not use it?

I suggest all butyl tubes have roughly the same level of 'puncture resistance'. Why do you think Schwalbe tubes are 'better'? Please share any research on this. Puncture resistance is provided by the tyre (and obviously you need rim tape).
"Rating on Amazon"! Don't make me laugh.

I take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt and never look at them in the default sorted view but look at the most recent first. I look at reviews from reputable websites or content creators. Given that some of the biggest names in the industry have created tubes that are specifically labed "thorn resistant" such as Sunlite and others and even "self sealing", or that Continental has RevoSealant "not only useful for repairs, but can also be used as a preventive measures in tubes, tubular tires, and tubeless tires." I would tend to think the concept of a tube that is "resistant" to a puncture, is not so far fetched.

As for why I think Schwalbe tubes are 'better', I never said they were. I looked at a few reviews here and there and what was a popular choice.

Top Bottom