Which Of These Is The Right Tube? What's The Difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think it's a bit of a leap to go from thinking about using tyre liners to being "petrified" of getting punctures.

I always put puncture resistance at or near the top of my criteria when choosing tyres. That doesn't make me petrified, I just hate getting them.
When I rode tubed puncture resistance was always at the top of my list. Now I'm on tubeless less so but overall strength and resistance to damage remains important.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
@Crevice what sort of riding are you planning to do? If all weather commuting on poor road surfaces when a puncture could be problematic time wise, then the best puncture resistant tyres like a Marathon Plus or a liner might be worthwhile.
If leisure riding, having fun, then maybe something lighter and quicker when getting a puncture is annoying but not going to make you late for work!
Will also depend on whether roads (urban, rural?), trails, in the middle of nowhere or in more populated areas

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

I think it's a bit of a leap to go from thinking about using tyre liners to being "petrified" of getting punctures.

I always put puncture resistance at or near the top of my criteria when choosing tyres. That doesn't make me petrified, I just hate getting them.

I wasn't going to say it... but exactly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

@Crevice what sort of riding are you planning to do? If all weather commuting on poor road surfaces when a puncture could be problematic time wise, then the best puncture resistant tyres like a Marathon Plus or a liner might be worthwhile.
If leisure riding, having fun, then maybe something lighter and quicker when getting a puncture is annoying but not going to make you late for work!
Will also depend on whether roads (urban, rural?), trails, in the middle of nowhere or in more populated areas

I went with the Schwalbe AV17. Casual/leisure riding in fairly populated areas. I'm not planning on riding anywhere that is rough but it's the small things you don't see on the roads that I think would be more of the culprit here. Just like to be prepared.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I went with the Schwalbe AV17. Casual/leisure riding in fairly populated areas. I'm not planning on riding anywhere that is rough but it's the small things you don't see on the roads that I think would be more of the culprit here. Just like to be prepared.

You aren't that likely to get punctures on road riding, glass is the main issue. I suffered a stack of thorns a few weeks back when the canal banks were all trimmed. The summer tyres had to go, and I fitted some heavier duty Schwalbes with an extra tyre liner. The only reason for the liner as I was getting so many, at least one flat per commute. I've just popped on the winter tyres and the protection on them is good.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Wow! You seem to be petrified of suffering a puncture.

Punctures are a real pain in the arse, doubly so when you get one in horrible cold wet weather, or in the dark. On any bike I ride further than two or three miles away from base I fit Schwalbe Marathons to and I also carefully watch what I'm riding over too.
Not wanting to have to do regular roadside tyre repairs is a perfectly reasonable stance, IMHO. What I do find a bit odd though, is the OP wanting to stick with crappy cheapo unprotected OEM fitted tyres to avoid the cost of a set of Schwalbes. The low budget stuff like CST's that I have are strictly relegated to hack bike use for nipping down the shops or pub on, where a puncture is just an annoying but minor inconvenience. For all other riding, I swallow the cost of Schwalbes - and I'm not known for cycling extravagance. :laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

Punctures are a real pain in the arse, doubly so when you get one in horrible cold wet weather, or in the dark. On any bike I ride further than two or three miles away from base I fit Schwalbe Marathons to and I also carefully watch what I'm riding over too.
Not wanting to have to do regular roadside tyre repairs is a perfectly reasonable stance, IMHO. What I do find a bit odd though, is the OP wanting to stick with crappy cheapo unprotected OEM fitted tyres to avoid the cost of a set of Schwalbes. The low budget stuff like CST's that I have are strictly relegated to hack bike use for nipping down the shops or pub on, where a puncture is just an annoying but minor inconvenience. For all other riding, I swallow the cost of Schwalbes - and I'm not known for cycling extravagance. :laugh:

I'm not planning on sticking with the OEM. As I mentioned once I know the rims I have I'll know whether I want to change those out as well. I don't have the money to do everything all at once but it's coming.

Top Bottom