Which Of These Is The Right Tube? What's The Difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I was thinking about adding rim tape and tire liner to both wheels with the tubes in between. I imagine that would really extend the life of the tubes and decrease any tube repairs.
Thevwheels shouls alreadyhave rim tape suitable for tubed use.

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Of course the tire is the first line of defense but I don't plan on discarding the ones that came on the bike. They aren't the exact brand that was mentioned in the listing but they did mention if certain tires are unavailable equal quality replacement tires would be used. So if I did get a flat and had tire liner which is inexpensive, that could be applied to reinforce the tire until I replaced them, why not use it?
The first place that bike brands look to cut costs is with tyres especially the lower down the range you go. I don't know what you have on there as I can't open your link to the bike but you'll soon find out if they perform when you start using the bike.
If you think a liner will help give it a try.

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

The first place that bike brands look to cut costs is with tyres especially the lower down the range you go. I don't know what you have on there as I can't open your link to the bike but you'll soon find out if they perform when you start using the bike.
If you think a liner will help give it a try.

Oh they are for sure a cheap tire. They seem to be a CST 700x42c Tire W/reflective Sidewall. That's about all I can tell but I'm not just going to trash them right away.

For me I think the more important question is what kind of rims do I have? I'm not sure how to find that information. I need to contact the seller for more details I suppose. Once I know what rims I have then I'll know if they should be upgraded and also allows me to plan on what tires I really want on my bike.

Alex321

Veteran
Oh they are for sure a cheap tire. They seem to be a CST 700x42c Tire W/reflective Sidewall. That's about all I can tell but I'm not just going to trash them right away.

For me I think the more important question is what kind of rims do I have? I'm not sure how to find that information. I need to contact the seller for more details I suppose. Once I know what rims I have then I'll know if they should be upgraded and also allows me to plan on what tires I really want on my bike.
The best thing is to just ride it for a while, see how you get on. If you get a lot of punctures, then look at upgrading the tyres or tubes.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If the rims are double wall I should leave them be.
As for the CST tyres you might just get fed up mending the punctures and junk them rather sooner than later. :sad:
I would recommend Schwalbe Marathons in one of their flavours, good VfM .

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

If the rims are double wall I should leave them be.
As for the CST tyres you might just get fed up mending the punctures and junk them rather sooner than later. :sad:
I would recommend Schwalbe Marathons in one of their flavours, good VfM .

I will of course change out if there are issues but as for the rims I would like to know what sizes my current rims can take. It would be nice to have rims that gave me the option of tubeless tires and presta valves if I wanted.

Alex321

Veteran
I will of course change out if there are issues but as for the rims I would like to know what sizes my current rims can take. It would be nice to have rims that gave me the option of tubeless tires and presta valves if I wanted.
The chances are there will be a sticker of some sort giving the rim details, probably quite inconspicuous.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Wow! You seem to be petrified of suffering a puncture.
My approach is to be very practiced and proficient at replacing tubes/fixing punctures and then just run whatever is fitted and see how it goes. It also pays dividends to watch where you are going and avoid the dirty no-mans land areas at the roadside and junctions where all the gravel, glass, screws and other detritus collects just waiting to pierce your tyres.
With reasonable tyres and an eye on where you are riding punctures can be a rarity and when they do occur are quickly remedied at the roadside if you have familiarised yourself with the routine.

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

Wow! You seem to be petrified of suffering a puncture.
My approach is to be very practiced and proficient at replacing tubes/fixing punctures and then just run whatever is fitted and see how it goes. It also pays dividends to watch where you are going and avoid the dirty no-mans land areas at the roadside and junctions where all the gravel, glass, screws and other detritus collects just waiting to pierce your tyres.
With reasonable tyres and an eye on where you are riding punctures can be a rarity and when they do occur are quickly remedied at the roadside if you have familiarised yourself with the routine.

Wow! You seem to be deducing a lot of information from a question about inner tubes that is very far from correct. Did you really think I was going to do something other than that? Maybe just ride blindfolded through a junkyard? It's called being prepared. I own a backup power generator. That doesn't mean I'm fearfully sitting around waiting for the power to fail.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'd just note that on several occasions I've used totally wrong sized tubes with no ill effect. So I suspect that whichever of two different right sized ones you choose won't make much difference at all.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Wow! You seem to be deducing a lot of information from a question about inner tubes that is very far from correct. Did you really think I was going to do something other than that? Maybe just ride blindfolded through a junkyard? It's called being prepared. I own a backup power generator. That doesn't mean I'm fearfully sitting around waiting for the power to fail.
Ok, whatever.... If you want to be an ars3 about it then crack on.
I'm just trying to give some advice and a bit of perspective, based on what you posted :whistle:
In your opinion, what is the best puncture resistant schrader tube
I was thinking about adding rim tape and tire liner to both wheels with the tubes in between. I imagine that would really extend the life of the tubes and decrease any tube repairs.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think it's a bit of a leap to go from thinking about using tyre liners to being "petrified" of getting punctures.

I always put puncture resistance at or near the top of my criteria when choosing tyres. That doesn't make me petrified, I just hate getting them.

Top Bottom