Which one of these will lose me more weight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

1) Riding with full winter kit on to sweat it out (2 pairs socks, bib tights over shorts, waterproof overtrousers, base layer, 2 shirts, night vision jacket, gloves, sweat band, helmet, glasses, over shoes, hi vis vest in the day time)

...or

2) Just wear shorts and a shirt like those "I'm so 'ard" roadies do?

Todays ride was bloody freezing...even with all the kit listed in option 1 above...but there were still roadies out in shorts:ohmy:

...anyway would I lose more weight by sweating it out under option one or by trying to survive hypothemia under option 2?

I would have thought if you went down the sweating road, all you would lose would be fluids - which would be replaced as soon as you drink...

But then, I might be wrong...

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I wear shorts Grrrrr :blush:

Not sure either dresscode will affect weight loss tbh. I would suggest you wrap up warm, as exercising cold is a miserable thing to do.

bonj2

Definitely option 1. I know I personally can never actually get going very fast if I'm cold and thus presumably aren't doing half as much exercise.
If it's more than 5 degrees C you might want to lose one of the shirts, though, definitely if more than 10 otherwise it'll just be gash.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The science will tell us that being cold makes the body work harder (to stay warm), but if you are working hard anyway ie cycling fast/moderately, then really it is better to keep warm. BUT being warmer will not make you lose more weight,, just it won't stress the body further by making it work to keep warm as well as exercising.

Getting cold is just going to result in you suffering more and perhaps ultimately in missing a ride or two because it takes longer to recover.

Wearing more may make you sweat more but sweat is just that and you will drink and recover that lost 'weight' or should anyway, otherwise again you will suffer and miss rides.

Ultimately riding more will keep burning the cals off, so choose one which is going to keep you going out, which for me would be 1.

That said I took one look at the freezing wind today and did an hour and a bit on the turbo watching Gordon Ramsay on a download from channel 4! And for that I rode in shorts and t-shirt :blush:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

ok...i'll stick with the full kit option...being a wimp etc...but it will keep me riding which as you say is important.

Brock

I'm slightly worried you're in danger of becoming anorexic BTFB, you seem to be unhealthily obsessed with your weight. You look lovely to me as you are, honest.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

:blush:....there are days when i wish i could catch anorexia (just kidding):smile:

...well I weighed in today at 17 stone and 3 lbs...which means I need to lose another 3 lbs before I can honestly say that i have lost 4 stone since may this year...all due to the cycling. If I can lost another two stone next year and get down to 15 stone I will be extremely happy..'cos at 6'4 tall i would be near my recommended weight I think (ish).

I havent been on a diet this year either, just cut out the alcohol and started riding.:biggrin:

monnet

Guru
Remember that your body is programmed to do what it can to keep warm. So, by wearing less in cold weather means your body will work to keep you warm by adapting the way it works to ensure your body always has a 'healthy' layer of fat covering your body to protect you from the cold. Hence why all those girls who go out in the freezing cold with next to nothing on develop cellulite much quicker than the girls who cover themselves up.

buggi

Bird Saviour
its true that exercising outside burns more cals than exercising inside because its colder, but if you ride in shorts you're gonna get chills and stuff and then get ill. full kit, ride longer. that will sort it.

o yea, when you get home turn your heating down a few degrees. that helps too.

domtyler

Über Member
For goodness sake, you are a grown man, not a teenage girl. Stop worrying about your weight all the time. You are doing serious exercise, probably for the first time in your life, and you are getting yourself fit and healthy because of it. Think of what you can do now that you couldn't this time last year. You just said that you have lost almost four stone in less than a year!! Anybody else would be pretty damn satisfied with that.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

yep I am pleased...you are right. But I still weigh 17 stone 2 lbs which is heavier than I want to be (15 stone at 6'4" would be ok I reckon). Nothing wrong with wanting to get fit and slim again. I am sick of missing out on life.

Sounds like you have done brilliantly. My only concern would be if something put you off the bike for any reason then without having adjusted what you eat and when and how, you might start to put weight back on again. Now you may well have already done this but I've just missed your posts being relatively new here myself, so forgive me if you have.

I speak here from personal experience. Though not in the same category, I'm 5'7", but I did get to 2/3 stone overweight. I lost the weight twice but each time fell off the excercise wagon and it slipped back on.

I'm now confident that it won't happen again, in fact it hasn't, as I have finally re-educated my palate and most importantly discovered what foods I need to avoid in order to keep weight off and I know my own personal calorie intake, which is below the normal average for men.

One without the others is for me just a sticking plaster rather than a cure.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
4 stone wow - that's great going..... I've lost about 2 stone - 5' 9" and am about the right weight now since June. Keep warm and dry and you'll keep cycling, and loose the weight.

Get cold, and you'll hate it, stop cycling and put weight back on.

I only need to use a base layer and my wind proof thermal on freezing days - plus gloves overshoes and skull cap under the lid, but the clothing technology has advanced so much, you don't spend half an hour getting dressed....I remember having upto 4/5 layers on years ago.. not two !

I hate getting too cold - if you get hot, unzip your top - too cold, there is not much you can do. I find that if my legs get cold, I more or less grind to a stop.

Top Bottom