Which one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mapster5

Mapster5

It's great not a really expensive all bells and whistles bike what your serious rider would have but excellent for the price

Mike Alexander

Thanks. I have a Carrera Virtuoso now (£300 when I bought it) and looking for the next step upwards. I can't really justify anything too expensive (i.e. over £750) and the Boardman Comp looks to have a good spec for the price and very positive reviews. Now I just have to convince the wife that a really do need a second road bike (Virtuoso as a winter/training bike and the Comp as my summer ride)... :thumbsup:

Mike Alexander

Pretty much sums it up the main difference at this price point will be the shifters and mechs .
Sora = thumb shifter +brake lever which some find hard ( ihave sora on the commuter and it works fine the only ting is to up chnage on the drops you need to move your hand and how often will yu be on the drops ?
tiagra = lever under brake lever + brake lever so you can reach it from hoods + drops
sram = one lever under the brake lever that does both up and down shifts depending how far you push the lever .
microshift= seperate levers for up + downshift, not many people use this but they work and are cheaper than most systems.
EDIT forgot campag, but not many bikes at this price point have them.
Having tried all of these they all work but some people like one or the other
@cyberknight, my current bike has Sora-like shifters that I find very easy to use as I ride mainly on the hoods and rarely use the drops. The Comp has "SRAM APEX 10speed" shifters. Do you know how easy the SRAM shifters are to use from the hoods?

OP
OP
Mapster5

Mapster5

I had a carrera valour before mine but the wife said I had to sell it to get mine because I was just filling the shed with bikes. Don't know much about the other two bikes you mention to be fair

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
@cyberknight, my current bike has Sora-like shifters that I find very easy to use as I ride mainly on the hoods and rarely use the drops. The Comp has "SRAM APEX 10speed" shifters. Do you know how easy the SRAM shifters are to use from the hoods?
I have the comp , the sram shifters are easy to use from the hoods or the drops .I tend to use the middle finger to push the shifter and after you have used it a few times you get used to doulbe tap where you push the lever one click to shift the a faster gear or push further to the 2nd click to an easier gear.
The only problem i had was trying to press the non existant thumb button till i got used to it :smile:

Top Bottom