Which Phone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LonesomeWanderer

Über Member
Traditionally updates on Android are handled by the network operators who tend to focus on updating flagship phones and abandoning more budget ones. My non-flagship Samsung phone has never recieved an update and is full of un-uninstallable bloatware. Google introduced the Android One programme to try and fix this, and the new Nokias are part of this programme and they do actually seem to recieve monthly updates like clockwork - even the cheaper models. They are also devoid of bloatware and have good build quality, but they do have slightly lower specs than some other phones at the same price point.

I’ve been a fan of the Moto G range since the 1st gen but there seem to some reports of QC issues which would give me pause (they’re built by Lenovo now and the same issues seem to be appearing on the Thinkpad laptops). The G6 does seem to be getting good reviews though....

And +1 for giffgaf, I’ve been with them for years and they’re great.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I researched this very carefully about six months ago. In the price range you suggest, up to £200, there are two outstanding candidates:

Moto G6 Play
Huawei P Smart

Both around £150/160.

I needed a new phone & didn't want/need the latest Samsung/iphone etc so I've take the advice on here & opted for a Moto G6 Play, currently £129.99 at Carphone Warehouse (+ £10 back through TCB) Mine has arrived this morning, but I won't use it until I have a screen protector fitted, just incase, but surprisingly the phone comes fitted with a clear silicone case. Cheapest phone I've had in years & it's the only one to come with a case :blush:

Adam4868

Guru
Had the last few models of motog for me and my partner.Kids are iPhone mad ! I'm on a g5 now and another bonus is it's got a removable battery.Great phones

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I needed a new phone & didn't want/need the latest Samsung/iphone etc so I've take the advice on here & opted for a Moto G6 Play, currently £129.99 at Carphone Warehouse (+ £10 back through TCB) Mine has arrived this morning, but I won't use it until I have a screen protector fitted, just incase, but surprisingly the phone comes fitted with a clear silicone case. Cheapest phone I've had in years & it's the only one to come with a case :blush:

I have a new Moto G6 - play - larger than I thought it would be, but very quick, very clever, very smart - I like it

postman

Legendary Member
This was my first mobile phone.
72acbd08b0a9141188ec55c0d9b178ea.jpg
I recently got an upgrade.
8075612-ball-of-string-on-white-background.jpg

Soltydog

Legendary Member
The G6 does not have NFC so no Google pay for you. That said, I was rather impressed with the battery life.
I don't know what NFC is & I don't use Google pay, so I should be okay :laugh: Previously I've had the latest iphone (think it was 4 at the time) & wasn't over keen on it. My current phone is the Samsung S6 edge which is going on for 4 years old & tbh most of the features are wasted on me. Didn't fancy spending upwards of £500 on the latest Samsungs that are beyond my needs. Reckon I'll be fine with the Moto, certainly happy with the price :okay: so that's a good start

albal

Guru
Used blackberry since my Nokia went bang. Currently on a keyone. 1st android phone for me. Not the biggest fan. Tho battery life is excellent. Loved the old BB set up. Probably a bit higher price than you wish to pay tho. All BB's are ideal for those that don't need glasses to use a phone.

Top Bottom