Which Phone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
What phone was that and how long ago? I have a 4.5 year old Xperia zante I've always had Watsapp on it.
I have WhatsApp on my Sony. No problems.

midlife

Guru
Slightly off the wall but our family run two iPhone SE mobiles, iPhone 6s innards in a small iPhone 5 size.

Run the latest iPhone software but cheap as chips (for an iPhone) but more importantly small enough for small hands and pockets.

The whole family (6 phones paid for by me!) run on giffgaff.....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't know anything about Giffgaff or anyone who uses it so can't comment. I use less than 250MB/month, most of my browsing is wi fi wherever I happen to be, so it's not really an issue for me. On the face of it that looks a very good deal. I don't though understand why people feel the need for huge data allowances. I've used 7GB on wifi in the last month and 235MB on data. Why pay for something that is generally freely available everywhere?
I use the £5/month offer - 150 minutes, 500 texts, 500 MB and unlimited free calls and texts to other GG users. The 3 people I contact most are all on GG so I tend to only use about 30-60 minutes, 50 texts, and 100 MB.

Depends where you live. No Giffgaff signal here so whilst it may be inexpensive, it's also ineffective.
GG uses O2 which is really good here (and in many other places). Three and EE are NOT, as my sisters discovered when they visited a couple of weeks ago!

Levo-Lon

Guru
You need the £60 a month one..

Or you get a cheap one and pay a sim only tariff.. I pay £10.30 per MTH and have a Nokia which cost about £160

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Thanks for the help, everyone.

you don't give the impression of wanting to go Apple
It's not so much that I don't want to go Apple as that they don't want me to buy one of their phones. They made that clear when they put the price tags on them...!

I researched this very carefully about six months ago. In the price range you suggest, up to £200, there are two outstanding candidates:

Moto G6 Play
Huawei P Smart

Cheers. Since posting I found this, which also puts the Moto G6 on top -
https://www.techradar.com/news/best-cheap-phone

Based on that and the very favourable comments about the G6 from others on here, that one's looking favourite at the moment.

The Honor which others have recommended also reviews very well on that site and they have it third in their list of budget smartphones, but lack of fast-charging and the fact that the wife will never have heard of it (meaning she might think I've gone budget/cut corners) are big points in the 'against' column that one out for me.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
If i was looking for a phone I’d probably go for one of the new Nokias. The lack of security updates will render most other Android phone useless after a year....
Forgive my ignorance - care to elucidate?

D

Deleted member 26715

If i was looking for a phone I’d probably go for one of the new Nokias. The lack of security updates will render most other Android phone useless after a year....
Forgive my ignorance - care to elucidate?
Yes please tell us, I've never had an Android phone that wouldn't get all security updates, my currently Samsung S5 is 3 years old (I think) & is up to date, I presume you are an Apple fan.

byegad

Legendary Member
I gave up on Samsung, the unalterable bloat wear was immensely annoying reducing the available memory by 50%+.

As my household doesn't say anything bad about our increasingly insane gibberment, nor designs nuclear weaponry I bought a Huawei P20Lite, although if they follow my recipe for Atomic surprise they may wipe out whichever lab 'cooks' it.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Lovely Wife got fed up with the pitiful battery life on here iPhone 6 and now has a Huawei P Smart - bought it for around £200 last year and it is a top notch phone.

£8.50 pm Vodaphone Sim: 500 mins / 500Mb data / unlimited texts.

Job done!

classic33

Leg End Member
I gave up on Samsung, the unalterable bloat wear was immensely annoying reducing the available memory by 50%+.

As my household doesn't say anything bad about our increasingly insane gibberment, nor designs nuclear weaponry I bought a Huawei P20Lite, although if they follow my recipe for Atomic surprise they may wipe out whichever lab 'cooks' it.
It was you!

Top Bottom