Which Planet X to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lozatron

Now i've finally seen the light and decided to get a drop bar bike - I've pretty much decided on the Planet X base carbon model - I've got a budget of 1K agreed with the financial controller so I was thinking of this one - however I've heard that SRAM can be less reliable and anyway, my LBS certainly has more experience of shimano stuff - so should I spend the extra for this

Hmmm - decisions decisions

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Both very nice, but surely too nice for a commuting bike?

OP
OP
Lozatron

Lozatron

Well...i have guarded, underground storage at the office, and frankly - the funner it is, the more often I do it! With two young kids I don't have much time for the gym so my cycle commute is pretty much all the excercise I get.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Lozatron said:
Well...i have guarded, underground storage at the office, and frankly - the funner it is, the more often I do it! With two young kids I don't have much time for the gym so my cycle commute is pretty much all the excercise I get.

exactly why i do it...life's too busy to put myself on a tread mill for 4 hours a week after work (when I used to waste at least two hours each day sitting in traffic)

If you can afford it, are going to spend a lot of time with it and it makes you happy then good for you...I have the same philosophy towards cars and motorcycles...but for some reason not my pushbike...odd really

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yellow Fang said:
Both very nice, but surely too nice for a commuting bike?

Why? My commuter is worth several times the OP's budget, and I'm far from the only one on here. It's all I get to ride most of teh time, so I might as well have a nice one to enjoy. Plus my bike should be harder to steal, and it lives locked to my office bench.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
My advice is if you like it, buy it. Just make sure you get sorted with some SERIOUS locks! I'd use atleast 2 top quality Ds or a top D and a proper heavy duty chain.

davidg

I have the pro carbon ultergra and am really happy with it...

I dont know enough about the whole sram v shimano argument to add much more...

you need to add for pedals and may want a better saddle at some stage...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
L however I've heard that SRAM can be less reliable and anyway said:
Odd a lot of pro teams use sram including lance armstrong, TBH its the 1st time i have heard that 1, my subway 1 has sram and after 2 years of winter commuting is still going strong.Maybe your LBS is a Shimano Dealer and gets a discount, any mechanic worth his pay should be able to do any system , a case of RTFM( read the f***** manual)

And yes i know what you mean about commuting being your exercise time, i have exactly the same problem :laugh:

OP
OP
Lozatron

Lozatron

Right - bullet bit - I got the fixed spec SRAM version - I have a dedicated bike spot at work and I'm going to leave two of the strongest locks I can find permenantly in place...

I was also thinking of one of those bike covers...overkill or "out of sight, out of mind" for members of the bike-nicking fraternity?

OP
OP
Lozatron

Lozatron

Oh it arrived yesterday...no bike commute today sadly - but very much looking forward to tomorrow...

Managed a five mile blast last night...grrrrrrrrreat

Top Bottom