Which players actually get a Champions League winners medal ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have googled this and asked quite a few LFC fans (none really know for certain).
There was a 23 man squad and they all got one (including a 20 year old goalie who has never played one minute for the 1st team).
Can anyone give me a link to a definitive answer ?
Thanks.
BTW I know there is a football thread but felt this is better on its own.

AndyRM

XOXO
The winning side is given 40 medals by UEFA. The club gives them out as they see fit.

ETA - Here's a link:

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFile.../Regulations/02/23/57/51/2235751_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Interesting, I wonder if they have to go to players or can the coaching team get a medal.
40 is a lot. You would be gutted if you are 41st on the list.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Interesting, I wonder if they have to go to players or can the coaching team get a medal.
40 is a lot. You would be gutted if you are 41st on the list.
My thoughts as well.
TBH I would not like to be the person that makes the decision.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
It also looked like the owner and his wife went up. Didn't see whether they got a medal though.
TBH by that time I could see three TVs so had no chance of catching those details.
Sunday morning, hair of the dog plus BIG bacon and tomatoe butties put things right again ^_^

AndyRM

XOXO
My thoughts as well.
TBH I would not like to be the person that makes the decision.

As far as I know, it's up to the manager.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Spurs had 30 players in the Champions league squad. Should they of won each player would of received a medal. I'm sure Liverpool had a similar squad so each of them would of received one. The extras go to the rest of the club including the manager.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Spurs had 30 players in the Champions league squad. Should they of won each player would of received a medal. I'm sure Liverpool had a similar squad so each of them would of received one. The extras go to the rest of the club including the manager.
Apparently 23 is the max squad number.
From the link @AndyRM gave me Spurs also get 40 medals but a slightly different colour ^_^

KneesUp

Guru
If thats correct about the goalie then the medal is pointless. He should sell it on ebay. ️
Daniel Sturridge has two champions league winners medals from two different clubs but hasn't played in a final. He explained the other day why he feels his medals are justified:

"I contributed and even the players who haven’t played a minute,” said the striker, who made seven Champions League appearances this season and scored in the group win against Paris Saint-Germain. “There are guys who have been on the bench and haven’t played a single minute but have been a part of it: from training, to acting like the opposition that we have been playing against, to doing a job, to sacrificing themselves and the way they play just to do a job on the training field.”

Sounds fair enough to me. The game isn't just won in 90 minutes.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...l-sturridge-champions-league-failures-triumph

Top Bottom