Which police forces are doing what about close passing ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
'Police Scotland Award winners here: #OperationClosePass winners of Most Effective Road Safety, Traffic Management and Enforcement Project at 2018 Scottish Transport Awards.'
This was interesting to see in light of their "No video, not interested " response to a recent close pass report from me:rolleyes:.

On the plus side it is good to see Police Scotland response to criticism of their Press Release announcing a revival of a lookalike NiceWay Code.
'There has also been criticism – welcomed and politely received by them – of a Press Release issued by Police Scotland with their “vulnerable road users” (including motorcyclists) programme.'
Sadly Road Safety Scotland supported this:sad:.

classic33

Leg End Member
West Yorkshire Police won't accept camera footage of incidents. With no evidence, they can take no action.

Action to date has come about as a result of officers using force supplied cameras. Cyclists are unable to say what is a close pass.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
West Yorkshire Police won't accept camera footage of incidents. With no evidence, they can take no action.

Action to date has come about as a result of officers using force supplied cameras. Cyclists are unable to say what is a close pass.

It's a shame the highly publicised press event announcing the arrival of "Operation Look Like We're Doing Something" on Otley Road in Leeds appears to have had zero real world effect.
In my experience, Otley Road is somewhere I'm guaranteed several close passes - just like it always has been.

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, that's very short sighted of them, seeing as how most acquisitive crime of that type is related to drugs.

A few weeks back there were 4 murders in a week here in Poshire. And what did the Chief Freemason do to sort this? A crackdown on violent crime? A squad of uncompromising tough officers to bust violent offenders? Some kind of zero tolerance policy? No, he raised a rainbow flag at HQ to celebrate LBGTs in the workforce.

Our PCC made rumbling noises about not being happy and preparing to hold the Chief to account, whereupon the Chief suddenly announced his retirement.

Now I'm not against celebrating diversity, but I have old fashioned expectations of the police and I expect them to do everything they can to combat crime. When that mission has been successful then, and only then, should they waste a single minute on rainbow flags, local strictly come dancing competitions, or photo opportunities at local mosques (never the local synagogue, that upsets the lefties to whom The scrambled egg ranks fawn).

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Now I'm not against celebrating diversity, but I have old fashioned expectations of the police and I expect them to do everything they can to combat crime. When that mission has been successful then, and only then, should they waste a single minute on rainbow flags, local strictly come dancing competitions, or photo opportunities at local mosques (never the local synagogue, that upsets the lefties to whom The scrambled egg ranks fawn).
Thank you Constable Savage!

West Midlands police are excellent for this. They have prosecuted all 4 bits of footage I have sent them.

West Mercia police - aren't interested submitted 4 - prosecutions 0 - I currently have a FOI requested logged with them to see if they prosecute any at all. It would appear to me that west mercia police trace the driver before deciding whether to prosecute - of course then it is too late to prosecute as the notice has to be with the driver within 14 days of the incident.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Greater Manchester police so far seem incapable of seeing my videos, whether using their supplied link or Google drive, until the period for prosecution has expired. :angry:
Cheshire police are not listed in the document and for almost all of the the close passes I have had in Cheshire, either the camera was not on the bike, or for one reason or another it failed to record. The last one was submitted a couple of weeks ago, but I suspect that the email trail which ensued as their uploader was faulty, will mean no further action.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
West Mercia police - aren't interested submitted 4 - prosecutions 0 - I currently have a FOI requested logged with them to see if they prosecute any at all. It would appear to me that west mercia police trace the driver before deciding whether to prosecute - of course then it is too late to prosecute as the notice has to be with the driver within 14 days of the incident.

I think that the 'strategic alliance' between West Mercia and Warwickshire has dragged Warwickshire down to West Mercia levels. I have also experinced less than stellar service regarding my shotgun licence renewal.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think that the 'strategic alliance' between West Mercia and Warwickshire has dragged Warwickshire down to West Mercia levels. I have also experinced less than stellar service regarding my shotgun licence renewal.
You do have a valid licence for it though?

Sixmile

Veteran
I'm quite surprised to see so much activity from the Police Service of N Ireland. Belfast isn't that big a place and I ride through it twice a day and never came across any of these sessions, education packs or branding events. I have though spotted the 'Give Cyclists Space' posters on two buses.

I see online reporting is not available though and awaits a change in legislation. With no functioning government at present, I'll not hold my breath.

Top Bottom