Which police forces are doing what about close passing ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm quite surprised to see so much activity from the Police Service of N Ireland. Belfast isn't that big a place and I ride through it twice a day and never came across any of these sessions, education packs or branding events. I have though spotted the 'Give Cyclists Space' posters on two buses.

I see online reporting is not available though and awaits a change in legislation. With no functioning government at present, I'll not hold my breath.
Cross that Bridge when you get to it?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
'Police Scotland Award winners here: #OperationClosePass winners of Most Effective Road Safety, Traffic Management and Enforcement Project at 2018 Scottish Transport Awards.'
This was interesting to see in light of their "No video, not interested " response to a recent close pass report from me

So far as I can tell, Police Scotland is running a box-ticking exercise, trying to bask in the reflected glory of their counterparts in West Midlands and Surrey Police who have been outstanding in their action against shitty drivers.

I've had patchy results from reports, the main difficulties bit being getting through the barely concealed lack of interest, the suggestions that I should have ridden elsewhere, taken a quieter route, worn brighter clothing or a had lights on, and all of this for incidents in broad daylight with perfect visibility. Most recently I was told that it wasn't possible to tell how close a car was driven at me despite using a Fly12 & Fly6 combo identical to that currently used by their own colleagues.

It's a total lottery as to whether you get a cop who sees the bad driving for what it is, while others do everything possible to dissuade you from pursuing it.

I think Police Scotland has a loooong way to go yet before they can take credit for such an award.

tom73

Guru
I found the South Yorks response in the footage totally shocking but no surprise given the overall state of the force. It look's to be unless they hit you or force you off the rd they will not take action.

snorri

Legendary Member
So far as I can tell, Police Scotland is running a box-ticking exercise, ................................................................................I think Police Scotland has a loooong way to go yet before they can take credit for such an award.
Interesting post, thanks.
I discussed the issue for some time after their 'no video not interested' comment, and they eventually agreed to inform the registered owner that a complaint had been lodged against the vehicle driver, but nothing further.
I have made 3 close pass reports in all, and was satisfied with the manner in which the first two were handled by my local force, (pre Police Scotland) but that was in the days before cams were in common use by cyclists.
It would be interesting to know how many other crime reports are rejected if the complainant cannot provide video evidence.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
West Yorkshire Police won't accept camera footage of incidents. With no evidence, they can take no action.

Action to date has come about as a result of officers using force supplied cameras. Cyclists are unable to say what is a close pass.

Bradford seem to be the only force, if you are in an area covered by them. https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/news-appeals/can-you-help-operation-steerside

Interesting they say report the incident within 96 hours. Cheshire and Greater Manchester say 72 hours.

Very interesting read, I particularly like the Surrey police's replies to the cockwombles at LBC :smile:
Apparently in my county of Glos there've been a couple of initiatives although you wouldn't know it!
When the WMP first brought out the close pass programme I wrote to my PCC TWICE and received nothing more than an automated reply from him both times

Top Bottom