Which Range Cooker?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomk

Guru
I think I want a 100cm duel electric ovens (one fan and the other conventional), gas hob Range Cooker. Should I change my mind?

I think I want a 100cm duel electric ovens (one fan and the other conventional), gas hob Range Cooker. Should I change my mind?
You'll be able to cook a lot of swordfish with a duel oven, that's for sure.

gbb

Legendary Member
Funnily enough we found ourselves looking at some the other day and my wife remarked on a big problem with some of them...the size of the ovens. One had THREE ovens..sadly, not one of them was a reasonable size. Useless for a turkey...

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
I started telling Mrs Thomk about an induction hob and she said "I want a gas hob, you know where you are with a gas hob, anyway what's an induction hob"?

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB

I've not long left the kitchen industry and I absolutely hated range cookers for several reasons. They tend to have 3/4/5 compartments, and on the lower end model's only one of these compartments is going to be useful. So you might get a fan oven in one and a conventional in the other. The conventional is fine if you like baking or need to cook things top and bottom but it's not really any good as a standalone. Also as other posters have mentioned the sizing of the ovens is sometimes just crap.

Regarding the induction hobs...they are brilliant. I absolutely loved gas hobs as you could instantly control the heat output but once I tried an induction hob I was converted. Show the missus some videos of induction hobs on youtube and I'm sure you will be able to convince her. In my opinion they're actually better than gas. They work just as quickly, if not quicker and the heat output is as manageable as gas. They are also slightly safer as once a pan is taken off the ring it will be warm but not scalding hot.

The only downside to an induction hob is it affects people with pacemakers and insulin pumps and unfortunately this isn't normally something the sales people like to tell you in a shop. I had a customer with an induction hob who complained he got nausea everytime he used it and I eventually found out he had a pacemaker. The risk is tiny but it's still there, kinda like using a mobile in a petrol station.

If you decide to get a range cooker and it's within your budget try to get a Rangemaster as these were the ones I had the least issues with over a five year period. I was forever getting issues on Beko, Leisure, Flavel and to some extent New World although they tended to be the better budget options.

GOAB

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We've got a Falcon 1092. Gas hob and leci cookers. New they're a buttock clenching £3500 , which I guess I'd have grimaced and paud in the end, but ours was a used one off a dealer on fleaby for a more reasonabke £1200. I think the older ones might be more solidly made, don't have one extra small gas ring(which would be handy) and the cooker isn't multi-mode but since I only need getting-hot mode I'd rather have the price of a decent car left in my pocket.

We had a new old model Falcon in my previous flat so there was little doubt I was going to get another one.

If you're in a flat you probably won't be able to have a 2nd hand one as the older ones don't have the auto cut-off for the gas rings which I believe the regs insist on on flats.

Never had an induction hob. Heard good things, but remain doubtfull. In any case won't work with my blingtastic copper saucepans - which is a bit middle class I confess.

Top Bottom