Which Range Cooker?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Have always insisted on gas hobs and ovens since I got my first house. Any experience of electric ovens were ones where the oven would struggle to get up to a decent temp and were always noisy, smokey beasts.
Bought a range master in 2000 when I moved into the current abode.
rangemaster_rms110ngfblpdc_bk_06_l.jpg

Loved the extra gas ring/griddle plate and two full size ovens. Now replaced due to a new kitchen extension but is still giving sterling service for BiL.
Decided to go all integrated in the current kitchen and opted for a large induction hob because despite the unarguable versatility of the gas hob, cleaning up after a spill was always a chore. Also took kitchen salesmans advice and plumped for two full size Neff elec ovens.
Have to admit I have been blown away by both hob and ovens. Induction is superb, instant heat and boost setting plus almost infinite controllability (needed all new pans though as the Ali based ones don't work). Ovens are really good too although the evenness of the temp top to bottom does stop me from cooking hot stuff at the top and cooler stuff lower down. The single one downside is the elec grill, IMO not a patch on a good gas grill when you don't want full heat.

I've never used an induction hob. Why is it better than gas or other alternatives?
Nice even heat across the pan with no fluctuation. No residual heat when you take it off. Easy to wipe clean. Safer. Food that dribbles over the side doesn't get burned by the gas flame. High power mode brings to boil in seconds.

Nice even heat across the pan with no fluctuation. No residual heat when you take it off. Easy to wipe clean. Safer. Food that dribbles over the side doesn't get burned by the gas flame. High power mode brings to boil in seconds.

Thanks. That sounds like everything I want. What is the cooking surface?

Glass. Be aware you will likely need to replace some of your pans. There's a test to see which with a small fridge magnet.
Thanks. I'll have a look after Christmas. I'm sick of the halogen glass top we currently have. It forever requires polishing because of burnt food and even just "burnt" water. I can already guess which pans will fail the test.

Top Bottom