which satnav for a car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I need a sat nav system as the new car doesn't have one fitted.

Not having bought one before does anyone have any thoughts as to a good one?

I've read the Which? report so have some knowledge now.

Probably TomTom or Garmin I guess.

I'd use my Garmin 705 but the screen is a bit too small:whistle:

I would like the sat nav to have european maps, or at least the ability to add european maps cheaply.

It would be handy (but by no means essential) for the sat nav to have the ability to upload routes (like the Garmin cycle gps).

I don't want a phone app as I don't have an app enabled phone.

Cheers

Nearly there

Veteran
I'd say a woman they're great with directions and even know left and right:whistle: ill get my coat

Reactions: gaz

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I loved my Tomtom but when it died, I replaced it with an RAC one (which is pants) and I will have another Tomtom just as soon as I can afford one. Its on the list of things to replace just as soon as I can.

vickster

Legendary Member
TomTom for me. I have an ancient one that I have used all over Europe and the US for years. It's completely out of date now (driving in London is a nightmare), and was toying with one of these - bargain for £90 with Western EU maps. I bought one for my elderly parents for Christmas. If you are a BC member, can get another 10% off

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_839817_langId_-1_categoryId_165685

For around £130, Halfords have some with lifetime map updates, e.g. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_793561_langId_-1_categoryId_247401

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 2354329, member: 45"]If you've got a phone that runs Google Maps that's all you'll need.[/quote]

no

Another vote for Tom Tom, used them since they came out and never had a problem. Currently using a Tom Tom Start when the need arises.

Probably sucking eggs time 400, but I would expect Halfords to have some Easter offers just around the corner, and they quite often have 50% off sat navs at such times, and Easter seems a prevalent time IMO.

matthat

Über Member
Although you've no smartphone now! Have you considered upgrading to a smart phone, then you get the benefits of portable gps for strava and also maps whilst out on bike if you need a nudge in right direction!! I've got a Sony miro and its got everything you need for sat nav and plenty of other stuff for a £100 What's the going rate for a half decent Tom Tom these days?? The only negative for running maps on a phone is you need unlimited data usage for regular use or 500mb a month for moderate use.
seriously consider it.

gam001

Über Member
I need a sat nav system as the new car doesn't have one fitted.

Not having bought one before does anyone have any thoughts as to a good one?

I've read the Which? report so have some knowledge now.

Probably TomTom or Garmin I guess.

I'd use my Garmin 705 but the screen is a bit too small:whistle:

I would like the sat nav to have european maps, or at least the ability to add european maps cheaply.

It would be handy (but by no means essential) for the sat nav to have the ability to upload routes (like the Garmin cycle gps).

I don't want a phone app as I don't have an app enabled phone.

Cheers
Tom Tom mate.

I have one and it's great. Bought as was impressed after borrowing Henty's when I drove to France. It gets me where I want to go - and you know my sense of direction :wacko:

What car did you go for in the end?

Night Train

Maker of Things
I've got the Garmin Nuvi 205W works OK for me "W" means wide screen
PS try and get one with free updates if you can
Same here.

Although my original one was really great, the identical replacement I bought when I lost the first one isn't.

The replacement has a touch insensitive screen that needs a very determined poke to work and also sometimes fails to put the cursor where I poked it. A real PITA when programming an address.
This one also has a habit of directing me off the motorway at random junctions and then back on again the other side of the roundabout. It sometimes also chooses completely random scenic routes even to regular and well used destinations.
Its ability to locate satellites is also inversely proportional to the urgency of needing a route.

I might try a TomTom next time.

I used to sell Garmins (didn't stock tom toms at all) in my old job and found them really easy to set up and show people, hardly ever got people coming back and asking me to show them again (although I always said any questions don't hesitate to come back) but what I did learn was that people who owned Garmins swore by them, people who owned Tom tom swore by them and never the twain would meet as it were (people who owned RAC sat navs were usually lost as they broke a lot - we did stock them as a cheaper alternative) my advice would be play with both brands and see which you prefer. As people have said try to get lifetime updates as new maps cost a lot (£80ish for european maps) when needed but it would only be few quid more than a unit with no upgrades (and before people ask I didn't work for Halfords - nothing against Halfords it just wasn't them)

Top Bottom