Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Kickr

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Cyclops hammer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elite direto

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tacx flow 2240 smart - only about £200 - as a starter trainer - I wouldn't spend big bucks on your first turbo - its not for everyone.

A guy at work has the cyclops and rates it though.

Tin Pot

Guru
Okay, I can see the resistance being a benefit for virtual riding like Zwift. Cheers.

I just go up a gear or down a gear to change resistance, but as you say I’m doing structured training not virtual riding.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
If you are only doing structured training, and you have a power meter, then any dumb trainer will be suitable. ... If you ever intend to take a step into the virtual world (BigRingVR, BKool Sim, Zwift etc) then a smart trainer is a better purchase, any of those you listed is more than adequate, The Neo being the top of the line, but only scores over the Kicker on quietness and it is truly direct drive (The Kicker uses a belt). Trainer road and Sufferfest also work really well for structured workouts with a smart trainer.

I'm Saving for a Neo

OneArmedBandit

The only only power meter I have is the trainer so not sure I am qualified to answer your question, but a dumb trainer with a power meter will not synchronize with computer software and change the resistance as the Film/Zwift/ GPX does, it may be fine for doing structured workouts, but a smart trainer will change the power required for you.
The things is although smart trainers allow you more sophistication with hills you're limited by the climbs on the courses - most of the ones on Zwift are either 1% or 5-6%. If you don't want to do those inclines then you're stuck.

Also freewheeling down a steep hill is fun on the road, less so on Zwift.

Finally even with a dumb trainer you can add "hills" by changing up a gear or more. You'll need greater cadence to maintain your power output. And you're not limited by the courses if you want to do HIIT.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
The things is although smart trainers allow you more sophistication with hills you're limited by the climbs on the courses - most of the ones on Zwift are either 1% or 5-6%. If you don't want to do those inclines then you're stuck.

There are other platforms than Zwift - BigRingVR for example, allowing you to ride some 'Flat', or 'Rolling' or 'Hilly' real life rides, gradients from 1-2% right up to 18% ers.

Even Zwift has added the Alpe du Zwift which is average 10% with ramps at 14%

bobinski

Legendary Member

Finally even with a dumb trainer you can add "hills" by changing up a gear or more. You'll need greater cadence to maintain your power output. And you're not limited by the courses if you want to do HIIT.

Have you been up the Alp in Zwift? Definitely a bit more than 5-6%:B)

I have a NEO now but went through the dumb trainer then smart wheel so I knew I would get lots of use. Great investment. Often sold around £800 mark on amazon if u keep your eyes open

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Didn't consider the others when I bought my Neo.

Not a single regret, but if it made financial sense I would have a Wattbike Atom
Speak to @TurboTommy about the Atom.

AlanW

Guru
I had two KickRs and couldn't get either to work as they should despite the very best efforts of Wahoo customer service. Bought the Tacx Neo and haven't looked back. Well not until it was 13 months old and it blew up!!

Thankfully Tacx replaced it for a brand new without any fuss or hassle, quality after service.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Tacx flow 2240 smart - only about £200 - as a starter trainer - I wouldn't spend big bucks on your first turbo - its not for everyone.

A guy at work has the cyclops and rates it though.
I've got the Flow and although it's OK I've had a few issues with build quality and connections to the apps. Also the apps don't work very well and uploading the cloud account is a bit sketchy, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Wouldn't buy Tacx again, but YMMV

CXRAndy

Guru

Have you been up the Alp in Zwift? Definitely a bit more than 5-6%:B)

I have a NEO now but went through the dumb trainer then smart wheel so I knew I would get lots of use. Great investment. Often sold around £800 mark on amazon if u keep your eyes open

Echoing Bobs comment, there are many climbs within Zwift which are far steeper 5-6% The top of the Pretzel is over 10% all the way up, The Alpe rarely goes below 9%, it does mirror the real Alp D Huez

There are plenty short 10% climbs on virtually all courses

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Tell me more ;)
TT will tell all and sundry about it if asked. IIRC the highlights were it works well as a erg trainer and can function in Zwift/bkool/BRVR as a smart trainer. But, the gear change simulation can be problematic. The crank lengths are fixed and a few important dimensions are different to a road bike

TT likes the concept of a smart bike that much he is joking about looking at the Tacx neo smart bike (although knowing how TT is with bikes that may not be a joke)

If serious about the Atom PM TT to get his view. BTW I did consider one also. but went with a kicker instead, with a view to getting a climb eventually.

Venod

Eh up

Other software is available it doesn't have to be Zwift, Big Ring VR, Bkool, Tacx plus more all have films of real climbs, and if you use GPX files you can ride any climb in the world.

Top Bottom