Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Kickr

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Cyclops hammer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elite direto

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
:unsure:I’m leaning towards the Neo but the hammer is a lot cheaper now. The KickR are bringing out a core version.
The Neo doesn’t need a power lead and has more accurate power readings which is better if you want to be more serious on Zwift. The Neo is now £999 too.
What to do?

:okay::rolleyes:

OneArmedBandit

Stupid question but have you tried a trainer for a prolonged period? They seem to be quite marmitey.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Stupid question but have you tried a trainer for a prolonged period? They seem to be quite marmitey.
No. I need to do structured training and in 8 weeks the nights will be drawn in. The mrs has given me the green light, so I’m researching

:smile:

Tin Pot

Guru
I can’t advise on either, as I don’t really get why anyone would use a smart trainer. With a grand you can get PowerTap pedals and a dumb Tacx which has almost all the benefits of a smart trainer plus you have consistent power readings outside.

But each to their own, the guys on TR seem to love the Kickr and Neo.

OneArmedBandit

Ah okay well if the Mrs has... ;) beware though that after the initial novelty it bores me stiff.

They all look shiny. I would say Zwift seems fairly accurate at getting watts right even on cheap kit. The one just from speed and cadence closely match my average and peak on the road.

I can see the appeal of variable resistance except if you do the sodding Box Hill course.

Crazy idea, why not get a cheap trainer and a massive TV/projector? That would enhance turbo training much more for me, and you're guaranteed to have something useful if you hate it.

I bought an elite qubo smart B+ on ebay, didn't get on with it, as @OneArmedBandit says, the novelty gets thin on the ground after a while, I'd offer to sell you mine but it just went on ebay for a tidy £5 profit after ebay fees. It did the job and I got a few weeks on zwift, it was good fun while it lasted, but I just ride out on the road now. Cost £100 to buy used. I wouldn't spend more on the models you are looking at when the more basic models would do just fine. You'll need to be very motivated to get your money's worth on one of the pricier units.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Ah okay well if the Mrs has... ;) beware though that after the initial novelty it bores me stiff.

They all look shiny. I would say Zwift seems fairly accurate at getting watts right even on cheap kit. The one just from speed and cadence closely match my average and peak on the road.

I can see the appeal of variable resistance except if you do the sodding Box Hill course.

Crazy idea, why not get a cheap trainer and a massive TV/projector? That would enhance turbo training much more for me, and you're guaranteed to have something useful if you hate it.
I have a 55 inch screen for Zwift or a smaller screen for Zwift and 55 screen for net flicks or what ever. I like the idea of keeping fit in the winter and working to plans. However Richard has donated me an old steel bike with full guards for the bad weather. I just don’t like riding in the dark even with my exposure lights on.

The elite direto is £600 now. Great reviews.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive been using my Kickr for 3 years, I use it 3,4 times a week in the autumn through winter into spring.
I use a large HD tv for the display of Zwift or Trainer road.
I recently made a rocker board to add more outdoor feel- works great
The package is just about complete, maybe will update the Kickr to the latest so i can have Kickr climb as well

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
+1 for Wahoo offerings.

Gary E

Veteran
I've been using an Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+ for a couple of years now on Zwift. Before that (pre-Zwift), as others have said, I found Turbo training incredibly boring. Zwift adds a new dimension and makes turbo work a lot more tolerable. That said, after a while even that starts to lose it's appeal :sad:

The one bonus I've found (and what continues to make Turbo training tolerable) is that the computer and screens you need for Zwifting can also be used to watch a film, buy more cycling stuff, send emails etc.

If. like me, you just want the exercise then a cheap smart trainer will do the trick. If you want hyper-realism and accurate power figures etc. you'll need to fork out a bit more :sad:

If at all possible I'd try to borrow a smart trainer and try before you buy. You could always buy a cheap second hand one from eBay and then, if you decide you like it, sell it with minimum loss and buy a better model?

Venod

Eh up
I hated the dumb trainers with a vengeance, and couldn't do more than 30 minutes.
I was knocked off by a blind driver in 2015, I asked to be paid out for the bike seperate to the medical claim and was paid quickly, as I couldn't ride I got the LBS to get me a Tacx Neo with the payout, they did at a price cheaper than I could find on the net.
I have done up to 2.5hrs on this, the films of courses help relieve the boredom, but my favourite is using GPX files to ride courses you have done in real life or anywhere in the world, you can use this with Google Street View if you buy a license, you only get frame by frame views (not a film) but the resistance changes with the terrain, courses I have ridden out on the road produce very similar times on the trainer, usually slower uphill faster down.
I have tried Zwift, it was OK but I could see I would soon get bored riding the same courses over and over, so didn't bother with a subscription.
The workouts available would suit anybody wanting a more structured programme.

Tin Pot

Guru
I’d agree with try before you buy.
I've been using an Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+ for a couple of years now on Zwift. Before that (pre-Zwift), as others have said, I found Turbo training incredibly boring. Zwift adds a new dimension and makes turbo work a lot more tolerable. That said, after a while even that starts to lose it's appeal :sad:

The one bonus I've found (and what continues to make Turbo training tolerable) is that the computer and screens you need for Zwifting can also be used to watch a film, buy more cycling stuff, send emails etc.

If. like me, you just want the exercise then a cheap smart trainer will do the trick. If you want hyper-realism and accurate power figures etc. you'll need to fork out a bit more :sad:

If at all possible I'd try to borrow a smart trainer and try before you buy. You could always buy a cheap second hand one from eBay and then, if you decide you like it, sell it with minimum loss and buy a better model?

I hated the dumb trainers with a vengeance, and couldn't do more than 30 minutes.
I was knocked off by a blind driver in 2015, I asked to be paid out for the bike seperate to the medical claim and was paid quickly, as I couldn't ride I got the LBS to get me a Tacx Neo with the payout, they did at a price cheaper than I could find on the net.
I have done up to 2.5hrs on this, the films of courses help relieve the boredom, but my favourite is using GPX files to ride courses you have done in real life or anywhere in the world, you can use this with Google Street View if you buy a license, you only get frame by frame views (not a film) but the resistance changes with the terrain, courses I have ridden out on the road produce very similar times on the trainer, usually slower uphill faster down.
I have tried Zwift, it was OK but I could see I would soon get bored riding the same courses over and over, so didn't bother with a subscription.
The workouts available would suit anybody wanting a more structured programme.

What benefits do you see with a smart trainer over a dumb trainer and a power meter?

CXRAndy

Guru
What benefits do you see with a smart trainer over a dumb trainer and a power meter?

A 'smart trainer' is interactive with the user and software, giving a near outdoor ride experience. Resistance changes with gradients on the Software platform(Zwift)
Power meter allows the user to accurately record power improvement over time, see fitness build. if the user has a PM for outdoor riding, they can then use the reliable numbers from the trainer to match outside effort.

A smart trainer(quality) will allow you compare race results with others.

Gary E

Veteran
I wasn't suggesting that a smart trainer was better than a power meter and a dumb trainer (sorry if it came across that way), merely that it's cheaper and did what I wanted it to do.
That said, a smart trainer will automatically vary the resistance felt when pedalling to match the gradient on the course you're riding on Zwift whereas with a dumb trainer you'd have to keep an eye on the gradient and adjust it yourself (or not if you didn't want to tackle a hill). A smart trainer adds to the immersive experience, on a dumb trainer you'd experience the same resistance to pedalling whether you're going up a mountain or coming down one.

Venod

Eh up
The only only power meter I have is the trainer so not sure I am qualified to answer your question, but a dumb trainer with a power meter will not synchronize with computer software and change the resistance as the Film/Zwift/ GPX does, it may be fine for doing structured workouts, but a smart trainer will change the power required for you.

Top Bottom