Which sprocket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aaronjoy

Regular
I'm looking to buy an 18t freewheel for my 2016 trek triton Gary fisher, currently got sram truativ crank and the original bontrager wheels, is there different sprockets for Shimano and sram, how do I find out which is the one I need and how much do they cost?

Thanks!

GGJ

Veteran
Shimano MX30 from Trendz is £24.00

Not sure if Sram do a single freewheel

OP
OP
Aaronjoy

Aaronjoy

Regular
I think I'll start with the Shimano one to make sure it's the gear that will suit me best! Thanks, so that will definitely fit?

GGJ

Veteran
I don't know the wheels/hubs but they are mostly a standard fit nowadays unlike when I were a lad and we had to contend with French threads, Italian threads, Japanese threads, Raleigh threads BSA, Whitworth, AF, metric etc. etc.

Yes it will be fine

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Keep it clean and lubed and you should get 0ver 3000 miles out of it

I got 7000 miles out of one; teeth were worn out but mechanism still fine (if a bit wobbly).

Stinboy

Über Member
I had an MX30 let me down after about 1500 miles. I did ride it through a ford however :sad:

I've a Halo Clickster at the moment. It's done about 3000 miles so far and not skipped a beat. It is pretty clicky though (clues in the name I suppose)

JPBoothy

Veteran
Hi, I appreciate that my response is a little late, and that you have most likely bought yourself a new FW by now, but maybe my words may help somebody else.
Anyway, a few months ago I was searching for a new FW for my Genesis Flyer as I had found that the original Shimano MX had become a bit 'clunky' after not very long at all. I also wanted to reduce the number of teeth, but didn't want to spend a fortune until I was certain that I had found the right gearing to suit me. After reading many reviews it become apparent that for every positive comment about a particular brand, there would also be a negative one too. In the end I decided that I would buy cheap and try the various brands for myself. Bingo! My very first FW appears to be a winner, and at only £12.99 the Sturmey Archer 16t that I bought from Evans Cycles could actually be the one I keep! It looks good, it feels solid, and it has an 'expensive' sounding click like a ratchet when you stop peddling and freewheel. If I get a year out of it, then I will consider that to be money well spend.

Sharky

Guru
I use Dicta freewheels, even cheaper than the SA ones. Cheap enough to experiment with different sizes and have never let me down. But always have a fixed sprocket on the flip side so will never get stranded.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I use Dicta freewheels, even cheaper than the SA ones. Cheap enough to experiment with different sizes and have never let me down. But always have a fixed sprocket on the flip side so will never get stranded.

I have a fixed sprocket on each side. Still managed to get one to freewheel in two directions a few years back.

OP
OP
Aaronjoy

Aaronjoy

Regular
I did opt for a Shimano mx30, however I neglected the bike so the chain, brakes and FW have seen better days. The FW I think it a gonner, just sounds rough, it skips every so often under load and it doesn't run smooth. I've decided I'm going to give fixed a proper go on 44x16 and see how I get on.

In regards to the condition of the bike, the frame and wheels are perfect still, I've just ordered new brake cables, chain and invested in some platform pedals complete with toe straps. Colour coordinated of course.

Has anyone else recently taken the plunge to commit to fixed? I took a quick spin round the block the other night and as long as I remember not to stop pedaling, it seems to be quite addictive! The speed seems effortless on the flats compared to my 44x18 FW rides.

Top Bottom