Which sprocket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
You are a braver man than me.

I have always wanted to give it a go as many people say that it is a more efficient peddling style once you're used to it, and on long stretches of open road or cycle path I'm sure it would be great, but it is the riding through traffic in town where an emergency (knee jarring) stop is never far away that puts me off.

Anyway, I'm sure you will adapt so keep us updated in your progress :okay:

Sharky

Guru
Some interesting articles on here:-
http://www.fixedwheel.co.uk/

RedRider

Pulling through
I did opt for a Shimano mx30, however I neglected the bike so the chain, brakes and FW have seen better days. The FW I think it a gonner, just sounds rough, it skips every so often under load and it doesn't run smooth. I've decided I'm going to give fixed a proper go on 44x16 and see how I get on.

In regards to the condition of the bike, the frame and wheels are perfect still, I've just ordered new brake cables, chain and invested in some platform pedals complete with toe straps. Colour coordinated of course.

Has anyone else recently taken the plunge to commit to fixed? I took a quick spin round the block the other night and as long as I remember not to stop pedaling, it seems to be quite addictive! The speed seems effortless on the flats compared to my 44x18 FW rides.
I took the plunge about six months back having ridden with a free wheel for a number of years. I've a fixed/fixed set up, 48_17 and 48_18. I don't run a brake in the back but the front brake works fine so never had to use my legs in an emergency stop and I ride in London traffic. It's good being able to control your speed and stop without using your brake tho. Knees are fine.
I had no problems at all with forgetting to pedal although I had ridden fixed before for about a month and I made my little mistakes then, usually at slow speeds when I bounced up and down like I was riding a horse badly.
Having the south London alps between home and my various work locations means I have plenty of chance to go up and down 5 to say 15 % hills of up to a kilometre or so long. Uphill is easier than a single free and the downs are more exciting although they've become more mundane after a few months nerve gathering and I'm now happy to spin as fast as my legs will go now, confident in my stopping ability.
I was always really sceptical about the 'feeling at one Zen' claims about fixed but in the last few weeks I'm starting to believe.
I'd recommend trying it to anyone

Top Bottom