Which stem rise angle and length to stop wrists hurting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moig

Hi,

I've got a second-hand Carrera Subway Ltd with 20" frame. The 'cabin' reach on these is massive - the top-tube is way longer than anything my experienced roadie biker mates have seen. I had trouble with reach so replaced the 80mm stem with a 60mm with 7 degrees that worked a treat but the handlebars still feel a bit low and my weight is being thrown on my wrists. I'm just under 5' 10" so I think the frame is too big anyway, but I like the bike for hacking around but can't get comfortable, and am looking to make it more comfortable as cheaply as possible. The saddle height and fore/aft is correct as per everything I've read.

(I've also read a few comments that some Carrera riders find the handlebars too low as the head tube on these is shorter so I think it's a common thing.)

My question: Would a 60mm stem with a greater angle help enough? Or would that bring that bring the handlebars too close to the saddle and so should I go for a greater stem length with a greater rise? If so, any thoughts? Should I go up to 70mm with a greater rise to achieve the same reach as I have now? I'm quite stiff shouldered and not that flexible in the back so leaning forward just loads my wrists. I'm not doing red-routes or commuting.

Unfortunately my few bike friends locally are fanatical roadies who like the bum-up and head-down posture but I'm doing green lanes and bridleways, trails, etc. and they insist a more upright position is a no-no.

Many thanks for any tips!

Moig

vickster

Legendary Member
What grips do you use? Tried bar ends?
Are the handlebars too wide?
Try stretches and pilates to improve your flexibility too :okay:

that said if the frame is simply too big you may never be comfortable.

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
20" frame. I'm just under 5' 10"
The saddle height and fore/aft is correct as per everything I've read.
If it is a 20" frame (actual measurement top tube c-c is?) then for someone who's 1.79 that seems if anything too small.
If the main issue is that the OP needs to support too much of their weight with their hands, then shifting the saddle (counter-intuitively) back reduces the load on arms/wrists.

vickster

Legendary Member
Halfords say the 20" is for 5'11-6'3.
5'10 is just under 178cm...and he is under that
(I am too, 177cm, but I'm long of leg so I usually need to size down from what is recommended for a 5'10er as my reach is less)

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Have looked at the site (for a Carrera Parva). The "20 inch" frame is BB c to seat tube/top tube junction: 51cm, but of course the top tube is sloping. Top tube effective length is 63cm: very long: and definitely 6 footer territory.
So I'd agree with @vickster : "if the frame is simply too big the OP may never be comfortable."
I am the same height as the OP and know that the 58cm horizontal top tube on the bike I use most which was marginally OK (for eg end-to-end, LEL and PBP) means it's now a bit too long - I've noticed this more as the years click over.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom