Which tool to remove this freewheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As per the title, can any of you knowledgeable gents (or ladies of course) point me in the direction of a source for the right tool to whip off this freewheel.
It is likely to be a use once only item so doesn't have to be amazing quality as long as it works. I have acquired (been given) a tandem and amongst other things the back wheel needs rebuilding so the freewheel needs to come off.
I will be hitting google later on when I have more time to try and identify both the freewheel and the entire bike, but in the mean time I reckon someone here on CC will recognise the freewheel straight away :notworthy:

upload_2017-10-17_20-26-41.png

upload_2017-10-17_20-27-8.png

upload_2017-10-17_20-27-34.png

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
It looks like this one to me. I typed in Suntour and Freewheel on Google. There was one with 4 notches which it looks like that has.

Does that help ?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...MIyuqPsrL41gIVqbftCh0byg1DEAQYBCABEgIB4PD_BwE

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Ordered for collection on Thursday. Halfords are competitive on price and also probably the quickest availability.

I did pop into an LBS during the day but he took one look at it and said he didn't have the tool for it. I guess they only do the modern stuff these days?

I have also had a look at identifying the bike and with a bit of help from THIS site have narrowed it down to a 1979 Peugeot Grande Tourisme. At least I know what I am dealing with now. The down side is that it has a lot of strange threads and components to cause me problems......

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Depends on the lbs. I'd bet at least three in my borough would have a go, although there might be a wait for them to get the tool and you'd end up paying for it. If they've no local competition (only big chains) and are rather shortsighted, they might cherry pick the easy stuff.

rrarider

Veteran
Others have told you what tool to use. I'll wish you good luck. It is a notoriously slippery tool and likes to disengage whilst under pressure. I suggest you bolt it in place with the axle and some washers for the initial opening crack and only then turn the tool free-style without its restraints.
I think that it's essential that you do hold the tool in place with the axle and nuts. I have a couple of 2 notch Suntour freewheels, which are even more prone to slipping than the 4 notch version. I always hold my 2 prong tool in place with the quick-release skewers for my hubs. The one time I didn't resulted in a knackered removal tool. Looking at your photos, I think it might require a good deal of force to get that freewheel off.

mjr

Bench vice to hold tool, and use cycle frame as lever, with the tool secured as described above.
I worry about wrecking either bench or frame doing that, so I favour a 2m pipe over the spanner handle as a first try. I always use something to hold the tool on, though.

I worry about wrecking either bench or frame doing that, so I favour a 2m pipe over the spanner handle as a first try. I always use something to hold the tool on, though.
I agree. One of the mackies in our workshop ripped a bench vice out of the bench that way and ruined the vice soft jaw and tool. A vice, even with a hard steel jaw, only holds two sides of the hex nut and since most of them are hollow, they easily deform, squirm and escape. On our DT Swiss tools (that's a story worthy of a book on crappy engineering in Switzerland), we welded a T-bar onto the tool so that it could be placed in a larger vice with a better mounting arrangement.

midlife

Guru
I think that it's essential that you do hold the tool in place with the axle and nuts. I have a couple of 2 notch Suntour freewheels, which are even more prone to slipping than the 4 notch version. I always hold my 2 prong tool in place with the quick-release skewers for my hubs. The one time I didn't resulted in a knackered removal tool. Looking at your photos, I think it might require a good deal of force to get that freewheel off.

If you think the 2 prong countersunk Suntour are bad then spare a thought for us that used 2 prong Regina ! LOL

mjr

I looked that one up on https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/cassette-and-freewheel-removal-and-installation and while noticing Atom being slightly bonkers (sloping spline faces :rolleyes: ), they do show some worse ones, including one freewheel with no removal tool opportunity at all :eek: where they advise destroying the freewheel, using the pawl flats inside the body to unscrew the remnants from the wheel.

Slightly bonkers? You have to remove the axle and bearings each time you remove the freewheel. But I do concede that the latter assembly you mentioned trumps all others. The good old days weren't so good, it seems.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom