Which trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm not sure if you can help, but my son has narrowed his choice down to
CycleOps Magnus
Tacx Vortex
Wahoo Kickr Snap
Elite Rampa

Any advice I can pass on would be appreciated.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have the Kickr Snap. 6 week’s in and I am delighted. All the Wahoo stuff is great quality. I use their Tickr X and Cadence sensor which pairs seamlessly. I also ride with their Elemnt.

According to my kids, the best thing about this is how quiet it is. I like it because it is very simple to set up, it is ‘wheel on’ and I cannot see any wear on my Schwalbe Durano. It is also Bluetooth or Ant.

I use it in conjunction with music, podcasts and TrainerRoad.

No advice about specific units but the advice I've always stood by is to buy second hand.

Loads of people buy turbo trainers, but IMO only a smallish percentage of people take to using them, hence loads end up being flogged off.

That said more people may stick to using them at the price range your talking about, although there are completed listings of used ones on eBay for all the models you've quoted.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
If it was my choice it would be the Kickr Snap. Don't know enough about the Rampa or Magnus but I had a Vortex(which was a great but limited trainer) before getting a Tacx Neo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
No advice about specific units but the advice I've always stood by is to buy second hand.

Loads of people buy turbo trainers, but IMO only a smallish percentage of people take to using them, hence loads end up being flogged off.

That said more people may stick to using them at the price range your talking about, although there are completed listings of used ones on eBay for all the models you've quoted.
I think he'd rather buy new but the few I looked at on eBay weren't far off discounted new prices.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If it was my choice it would be the Kickr Snap. Don't know enough about the Rampa or Magnus but I had a Vortex(which was a great but limited trainer) before getting a Tacx Neo.
Cheers Netty. I think the Neo is in another price bracket.

AlanW

Guru
My two pence worth, I had two Kickr Snaps and just couldn't get them to work right despite the very best efforts from Customer Services at Wahoo. I was actually sent a third replacement one but returned it before even taking it out of the box as I had given up by then and bought a Tacx Neo.

Prior to that I had the Tacx Vortex, and couldn't really find fault it to be honest, other than just before it was twelve months old the bearing went. Wiggle didn't have any in stock at the time to replace it hence why I then opted for the Kickr Snap instead.

The Taxc Neo is just another level in every single aspect, and if you can get a good deal on one, go for it, you will not be disappointed trust me!

uclown2002

Guru
Can you stretch to an Elite Direto? Gets very good reviews and is probably 'best bang for your buck'.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush

My two pence worth, I had two Kickr Snaps and just couldn't get them to work right despite the very best efforts from Customer Services at Wahoo. I was actually sent a third replacement one but returned it before even taking it out of the box as I had given up by then and bought a Tacx Neo.

Prior to that I had the Tacx Vortex, and couldn't really find fault it to be honest, other than just before it was twelve months old the bearing went. Wiggle didn't have any in stock at the time to replace it hence why I then opted for the Kickr Snap instead.

The Taxc Neo is just another level in every single aspect, and if you can get a good deal on one, go for it, you will not be disappointed trust me!

He's just texted me to say that he's ordered the Neo!

Top Bottom