Which types of vehicle are too important to stop behind ASL?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Oh yes. Course.

businasl.jpg

I've never see a bus in one unless it was stuck in a traffic jam, black cabs are bad for it here even when the road is empty.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

What gets me is I can't see why they're in any particular rush. They get paid by the hour, not the mile.

Tynan

Veteran
you're joking aren't you?

they get put under appalling pressure to stick to the timetables, regardless of traffic

I've never seen one do the ASL, cabs a bit

OP
OP
B

bonj2

well that's ridiculous.
How can such a policy possibly be acceptable?
And how can anyone be in support of buses, if they put pressure on drivers to conform to set times when doing so could be dangerous?

Ashaman42

Über Member
Then again how much would people complain if the buses didn't stick to the schedule.

Not that I'm saying it's right at all.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
The traffic lights are a reflection and possibly on a central island behind the bus. Is the road in front of the bus fenced off for roadworks? Are the traffic lights single- or multi-phase? Is that junction normally a cross road i.e. does the road that runs across the photo continue past the bus or is it a T-junction? On the bodywork of the bus, beneath the reflected traffic light, there appears to the reflections of three cars - on the first car we can see both headlights and an illuminated front licence plate with only one light visible on cars two & three. Alternatively, the visible traffic lights and road could be at an angle to the bus on the road going L to R in the photo.
We cannot see the traffic light that controls the bus, the photo may be a still from a video clip and stopped at an appropriate moment to 'prove a point'.

Iceniner

I see cabs here in Cardiff do it all the time, they are waaaay worse than any other road user. Thumbs up to the buses around here, they are excellent when they have been over-taking me/waiting behind.

jmaccyd

I have transgressed into ASLs in London occasionally. Was that done deliberatly - certainly not. When it has happened it is due to the traffic lights changing and requiring a fairly prompt stop of the Cab. If I am carrying passengers, particularly a large family, the elderly or youngsters the 'harder brake' (sorry not a very technical term) that I would be willing to perform if driving on my own would not be safe for the people I am carrying in the back. This of course applies to buses and they might have people standing, at least in theory my passengers are seated and belted up

Arch

Married to Night Train
Carwash said:
Builders' vans and Mercedes-Benz, in my limited experience.

And which of those are you more likely to shout at?:smile: (Private joke)

In my experience, buses are one of the better vehicles with respect to ASLs. That one COULD be there quite legitimately, having been stopped in traffic - that applies to any vehicle you don't actually see cross the line. ASL's are like yellow hatched junctions or the studs on a ped crossing, as far as I know, which a driver should leave clear in a queue.

Generally, round here, the bus drivers are among the better ones all round, for sure.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't really care if there are motor vehicles in an ASL. They can be there quite legally, so it'd be wrong to tell anyone off unless you observe them crossing the first stopping line after the lights are already red.

As for motorbikes, I'm quite happy to share an ASL with them.

Top Bottom