Which tyre for particular weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello
The bike is a Trek Dual Bike Sport 7 (I've lost the picture somewhere so i think that's what it was).
The rider is around 120kg in weight and it's current tyres do not support his weight, he has gone through 4 inner tubes and has always pumped it to the correct tyre pressure to support his weight however it doesn't. Both of it's tyres are 700 x 38c Bontrager tyres.

The rider has requested a pair of new tyres (preferably ones that use inner tubes) that will fit the wheels and simultaneously support his weight. Not too expensive either.
I've done some research but just wondering if anyone on here may have had a similar situation and/or can recommend a pair.
Thanks in advance.

cheys03

Veteran
I’ve been 120Kg and never had a problem with punctures due to that weight, always glass, thorns etc. Schwalbe tyres across all my bikes. Mostly Marathon Plus, Marathon and Supremes.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Tyres shouldn't make any significant difference at that weight - provided they are pumped up to a decent PSI - I'd be interested what they were pumping them up to though, it might not be enough to pump them up to the lower limit - higher PSI means more air volume which is needed for slightly larger riders.

I'd also be interested in how the inner tubes failed - if the puncture looks like a snake bite then that would indicate more pressure is needed for example.

I'd suggest something like the Schwalbe Delta Cruiser Plus - in the same size, 700x38c, but pump them up closer to the limit, so around 80psi - that should give good puncture protection.

OP
OP
C

CycleSafeUK

Regular
Tyres shouldn't make any significant difference at that weight - provided they are pumped up to a decent PSI - I'd be interested what they were pumping them up to though, it might not be enough to pump them up to the lower limit - higher PSI means more air volume which is needed for slightly larger riders.

I'd also be interested in how the inner tubes failed - if the puncture looks like a snake bite then that would indicate more pressure is needed for example.

I'd suggest something like the Schwalbe Delta Cruiser Plus - in the same size, 700x38c, but pump them up closer to the limit, so around 80psi - that should give good puncture protection.

Those are better priced than the Marathon's. Much appreciated I'll take a look.

I was thinking that about the tyres too, if they are up to a decent PSI then they should be fine. The inner tubes were barely pinhole punctures that once pressure was applied only then would it start to deflate. It does seem like more of a PSI problem.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm guessing the failures are pinch punctures, which would suggest insufficient pressure in the tyres..
x2 on this theory. A 38mm tyre is a big thing so the temptation may be to run it at only 50-60psi for comfort but if the tyres allow it i would suggest 80-90psi and see if the punctures still occur.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Any tyre can cope with that weight.

It needn't be anything special, I would suggest Vittoria Randonneuer as a reasonably robust and puncture resistant tyre that rolls well. I use them in 32 & 35mm sizes.
^^ wot e said

Big fan of Randonneurs myself for that reason

Not sure why the OP has asked whether the M+ is easy to fit when he/she is a Cycle Mechanic and the reputation of the M+ is widely known throughout the cycling community

Ajax Bay

Guru
The rider is around 120kg in weight and it's current tyres do not support his weight, he has gone through 4 inner tubes and has always pumped it to the correct tyre pressure to support his weight however it doesn't. Both of it's tyres are 700 x 38c Bontrager tyres.
The rider has requested a pair of new tyres (preferably ones that use inner tubes) that will fit the wheels and simultaneously support his weight.
At 120kg plus 12kg bike, what pressure did your customer have the front and the rear tyres at? I'm guessing the punctures have been in the rear tyre, right?
He should have the tyres at 75psi on the rear and 55psi on the front. The manufacturers specified max pressure is probably 80psi (see sidewall of tyre). BQ article from 2006 attached.
The current Bontrager tyres can "support his weight" perfectly well and any new tyre will be no better than the Bontragers. What tyres do you run on your knock-around bike? Recommend him some of those.
What is the internal width of the rims?

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 4

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The customer/rider may just be an unsympathetic ham-fisted oaf who crashes through every pothole and rides over all the debris possible. It's no use fitting the toughest tyres or pumping to an optimal pressure in this case.

Top Bottom