Which tyre should I get for a Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tinywheels

Ăśber Member
So these Continentals then.

I had to do an emergency brake and stop the other day as someone came around a roundabout and they weren’t indicating.

Anyway, long story short, I had to really slam the brakes on and skidded to a halt.

Walking my bike through the station this morning, it felt like there was something stuck on the tyre. There was a pronounced bump as I wheeled it.

Checked it when I could to see that it’s worn through all the rubber to the cords. After just one skid. The result is a pronounced flat spot. More noticeable on the super-smooth tiles in the train station. But I've not noticed it on the road - as the surface is so bad.

According to MainTrack I’ve done a total of 443 miles on them. So apart from this patch, they're in pretty good nick. Was a bit surprised at how quickly that went through.

I’ll post a pic when I remove them.

wow, what were you riding on? that's astounding!
anyone else had this type of continental problem?

berlinonaut

Veteran
Still: 20k miles on one set of Urbans sounds very impressive - I would have expected them to be worn through at let's say 7500 miles max., rather earlier.

yoho oy

I don't get anyone who is keen to change the tyre/s on the side of the road. Seriously? I would understand doing it when you are stuck on a some long trip. On other hand for someone commuting in London the best thing is to fold the bike and use some sort of public transport. Play with tyres at home. I would actually go with Continental as they are lighter and can save quite significant weight.

I have regular Marathon HS420 on my Brompton and on a couple of my other bikes too, can't fault them, very flat resistant and ride great too.

Wife's Brompton had M+ on the rear and M racer on the front, she commutes with about 35lbs of luggage and was getting flats equally on both tyres so I installed tyre liners and she has not had a flat since, touch wood. I have come to the conclusion that the racers, like Gunk said, are fine. If you are worried about punctures fit liners rather that buy new tyres. I started installing them on my bikes because we have such a big problem with broken glass round here and they work brilliantly.
Incidentally, I recently changed the rear tyre as the M+ was too tight a fit under her newly installed rack, I ordered a standard Marathon but the shop got me the green Marathon which has a significantly lower profile. The tyre is fine but fitting the liner was a real test of my patience

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I don't get anyone who is keen to change the tyre/s on the side of the road. Seriously? I would understand doing it when you are stuck on a some long trip. On other hand for someone commuting in London the best thing is to fold the bike and use some sort of public transport. Play with tyres at home. I would actually go with Continental as they are lighter and can save quite significant weight.

Yes, seriously. By the time you have faffed about finding your public transport, or waiting for a lift/taxi you could repair a puncture or replace an inner tube and be on your way. 5/10 minutes maximum.

Top Bottom