Which tyre should I get for a Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Where I live taxi is not a viable option and it could be a long walk back to base.
After my second flat I went to M+ on the rear and Greenguard on the front. The front flat was because the tape had not been fitted properly at the factory and a spoke head got the tube but I only discovered this after I had bought the tyres.

brommieinkorea

Recently fitted the new Continental Contacts to 2 of the Bromptons. Over 500 miles, only one flat episode on one of the rears, and they haven't worn through like the Kojaks. They ride better than Schwalbes too.

tinywheels

Über Member
conti is the way to go

20230727_172730.jpg

bobinski

Legendary Member
If i was to get a single speed Brompton for london commuting and the rear tyre punctured would i end up with the same ball ache/hassle of removing the wheel and fixing? If so think i would be better off with a Genesis Flyer single speed and forget about a folding bike.

berlinonaut

Veteran
The only single speed Brompton currently available is the T-line. Easier with the chain tensioner there. Either way removing the rear wheel on a normal Brompton is absolutely no hassle if you do not have two left hands full of thumbs only. The issue is completely and ridiculously exaggerated in forums. Fitting a spare tube into the rear wheel takes less than 10 minutes all in.

Kell

Veteran
It’s not difficult per se.

Just different to what people are used to.

Having a chain link going through to the hub with parts that can easily be dropped or lost or put back together incorrectly is not ideal to do by the road for the first time.

That’s all. I could probably do it with my eyes closed now, but to begin with it’s just a bit confusing.

tinywheels

Über Member
It’s not difficult per se.

Just different to what people are used to.

Having a chain link going through to the hub with parts that can easily be dropped or lost or put back together incorrectly is not ideal to do by the road for the first time.

That’s all. I could probably do it with my eyes closed now, but to begin with it’s just a bit confusing.

I've just done it after a blowout going downhill to the station.
I'm still confused, even after all these years.

mitchibob

Über Member
i spent two hours last night changing tyres.

from schwalbe marathon plus - 9 years old but not much usage last 8 years - to Conti Contact Urban

What a ball ache. Front one not ridiculously difficult, but the lack of quick release on the break makes reinserting the wheel, a bit of a Pfaff. The actual tyre removal from the Rim fantastically easy

The real one has the major pain of trying to work out how to reassemble all the gear mechanism.

Assembled. I noticed that the tire was not seated properly where the valve is. So the wheel was very slightly Oval.

I then had to remove it again and fit a new tube.

Around two hours total. If I do get any more punctures, it will definitely be taxi for me.

Looking forward to seeing if the handling, improves dramatically with the new tires as the old ones are like a piece of concrete

And, of course you made sure the logos on tyres line up with the valves, etc? probably makes them faster ;-)

I hope you're enjoying the difference! I've not tortured myself with Marathon plus as just never seen the point. Standard Marathons need high pressure to roll well, but at very functional. Conti Urbans were immediate improvement over anything I've tried, whatever the weather. 70-80ish PSI is fine with them. Have fun!

mitchibob

Über Member
taxi and fix at your leisure is definitely "the way"

:-D! When I'd be planning certain rides, have in the past looked to include various public transport links that could get me out of a hole if anything went wrong, although, only once used when shoulder injury was absolutely ruining ride. Practicality of Brommie means can never really be refused on any kind of transport/hotel/cab/etc. Although certain occasions, when toes were feeling bit too cold, or something, had eyed up the escape train, then wondered, would the heating even be on in that train to restore some feeling? or am I better off just riding to the pub at the end, instead of waiting for a train that might not have heating, still have to ride back from the station with cold feet, etc.

Kell

Veteran
And, of course you made sure the logos on tyres line up with the valves, etc? probably makes them faster ;-)

I hope you're enjoying the difference! I've not tortured myself with Marathon plus as just never seen the point. Standard Marathons need high pressure to roll well, but at very functional. Conti Urbans were immediate improvement over anything I've tried, whatever the weather. 70-80ish PSI is fine with them. Have fun!

Confession time.

Always best to admit your mistakes.

Just checked the sidewall of my Contis and have seen that the maximum PSI is 116.

Not sure where I got 130 from.

At 120, I was a little over.

IMG_4504.jpeg

Kell

Veteran
So these Continentals then.

I had to do an emergency brake and stop the other day as someone came around a roundabout and they weren’t indicating.

Anyway, long story short, I had to really slam the brakes on and skidded to a halt.

Walking my bike through the station this morning, it felt like there was something stuck on the tyre. There was a pronounced bump as I wheeled it.

Checked it when I could to see that it’s worn through all the rubber to the cords. After just one skid. The result is a pronounced flat spot. More noticeable on the super-smooth tiles in the train station. But I've not noticed it on the road - as the surface is so bad.

According to MainTrack I’ve done a total of 443 miles on them. So apart from this patch, they're in pretty good nick. Was a bit surprised at how quickly that went through.

I’ll post a pic when I remove them.

Last edited:

berlinonaut

Veteran
That is pretty remarkable for one single skid. :ohmy: How fast were you going? Is it possible that parts of the upper rubber habe separated and been ripped off during the process? And the mark is pretty long as well - it starts a couple of cm before the damage and the damage seems way wider than the contact point between road and tire ususally is as well.

Top Bottom