Which tyre should I get for a Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Yeah - it's gonna be tough to get off I think.

New bike then Kell 😉

mitchibob

Über Member
I moved one down and that’s now ok, but unfortunately, on the other one of them the hole for the Allen key has rounded off and I can’t even loosen it at all. So I think I’m going to have to drill it out or hacksaw it off to remove.
How does that happen? Seriously unfortunate! Hope you find resolution

Kell

Veteran
A Dremel can work too. You are very lucky you were not going down your 40 mph hill and having the brake pad cut through the sidewall.

The one and only time I got a ‘puncture’ with my marathons was similar and on that hill.

Front brake was loose and rocked forward under heavy braking.

Went through the side wall. Luckily, as I mentioned earlier the sidewalls of marathons are very stiff and it held up enough for me to brake and slow from 30mph.

Was wobbly, but I got away with it.

Having put these tyres on, there’s no structural integrity to them. If the same happened with these then I’m sure they’d come off the rim and i’d be in trouble.

Kell

Veteran
How does that happen? Seriously unfortunate! Hope you find resolution

I think I must have rounded it off when setting it last time.

All sorted now. I filed a straight bit in to two of the sides to give some mole grips something to grab and managed to get it off.

However, when doing so, I've just noticed that the wear indicator is showing, so I'm not going to ride it till I get another rim.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I think I must have rounded it off when setting it last time.

All sorted now. I filed a straight bit in to two of the sides to give some mole grips something to grab and managed to get it off.

However, when doing so, I've just noticed that the wear indicator is showing, so I'm not going to ride it till I get another rim.

Good to hear you got it off ok. Will you lace it yourself?

Kell

Veteran
Absolutely not. I can just about re-true something that's gone a bit off but starting from scratch...

I think it's beyond me.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I think it's beyond me.
That's suboptimal. If your wheels are beyond you typically you've fallen off your bike. Possibly you should make use of the strategy you applied to your brake pad on building your wheels?
I think I must have rounded it
until:
All sorted now.
However, certain aspects are NOT recommended for building a wheel...
Went through the side wall.

Was wobbly, but I got away with it.

there’s no structural integrity to them.
:laugh::angel:

mitchibob

Über Member
With way sealant tech for road tyres has recently improved, I do wonder about a proper tubeless option for brommies. Apart from anything else, can get your valves more on colour-scheme ;-) I have to make up for that at the moment by at least having Welsh flags on my dust-caps! Tubolitos would clash terribly.

Kell

Veteran
What I can say about the new contis...

Initial impressions are that they are faster. I'd say a good 1-2mph faster.

But they also seem less stable. On my 40mph downhill the bike does not feel as planted.

Unfortunately, I've changed several things at once (including seat post) so it's possible it's my position on the bike that's changed and therefore affecting things... will have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
What I can say about the new contis...

Initial impressions are that they are faster. I'd say a good 1-2mph faster.

Ok.

So I know this doesn’t constitute ‘proof’

But for the first time in a long time this morning I did a longer ride from Wembley to work.

Got my fastest time for the complete journey by about four minutes.

Of course, no two journeys are alike etc. but I think it feels like the bike is a little easier to pedal at most times.

PS - it's only a KOM because it's a private segment

EB28CBE5-3E78-428B-BC08-0A7470A0C785.png

B3997DE1-5B32-41AF-B8D7-8A388687D89A.jpeg

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
Two other things:

Ignore the power figure - it’s estimated, but I don’t know what on. When I change the bike to my mountain bike (even on this route) it doubles.

Also, it’s dropped my average speed from the captured speed for the whole journey - even though this segment is the whole journey.

7F100837-BCFC-4D5C-80BA-42B610F62BC3.png

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Also, it’s dropped my average speed from the captured speed for the whole journey - even though this segment is the whole journey.

that's because a whole ride average speed uses moving time, so excludes stopped time (at junctions etc) but a segment uses the full time, so people cant "cheat" by having a rest halfway up a hill and then pressing on to steal a KOM

Top Bottom