Which Van Nicholas (and dealer) or something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slow down

Not sure whether beginners is the correct place for this but having just made the last payment on my Bianchi through the works "bike to work" scheme, it's the perfect time for another bike (again at half price thanks to the scheme :blush:).

I'm not looking to start a "Ti is better than Al is better than carbon, but steel is real" debate - I have one carbon, one Alu, and one steel road bike so it's going to be Ti this time out. Question is which Van Nicholas would suit me best - it will be used for long weekend rides, the odd sportive, and maybe bank holiday credit card touring. I was considering VN due to the price, so if anyone has other suggestions, I'm open to suggestions.

If I do go with VN is the Zephyr worth paying the extra or is the Euros more suited to my riding? I do intend to try to get a test ride, but would welcome opinions, which brings me to my next question - which dealer would you recommend? (Looking to buy frame and build up myself). I'm in the West Midlands but travelling isn't a problem for the right service/measuring/test ride.

Dormouse

I am very happy with my Yukon and I reckon it would suit your intended usage. I also recommend Paul Hewett in Leyland especially for his fitting service.

SamNichols

The Enigma ti bikes are stunning, and are a lot more rare than the Van Nicholas ones, if you're looking for a bit of hidden brand cache.
Not sure where they're based though...

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Even within you quite limited range of uses for the bike, you still need to perhaps be clearer in your mind where your main emphasis is. That will then seperate the Zephyr from the Euros.

Does the Euros take mudguards? This option would add to the 'flexibility' of a bike that you want to cover a lot of bases.

If you decide that the priority is more towards the 'sportives' and not the weekends away, then the Zephyr would be great.

Hewitts are dealers with a fitting service and do not mind if you only take away a bare frame, or you might want him to chase all the threads out and perhaps fit the headset, etc. Your choice.

OP
OP
S

slow down

Regarding use, it will mainly be sportives and long fast rides, rather than touring. Not too fussed about mudguards - I can always fit some raceblades if needed.

I'd forgotten all about Hewitt's - I know their fitting service is the stuff of legends (almost) so may be the excuse I've been looking for.

Re Enigma - I'll give them a look. I did look last year, but the prices are quite a bit higher than the VN if I recollect correctly. As it's going to be used as a second bike at best, I'm not sure I can justify the cost to myself. :blush:

Tynan

Veteran
they let you buy multiple bikes on the ride to work scheme? that doesn;t sound right

I can't even get one

SamNichols

slow down said:
Re Enigma - I'll give them a look. I did look last year, but the prices are quite a bit higher than the VN if I recollect correctly. As it's going to be used as a second bike at best, I'm not sure I can justify the cost to myself. :blush:

They're a far smaller company, so they are going to be higher costs but at the moment, a couple of the lower range ones are on sale to make room for the 08 models. Far sexier bikes, but more expensive, admittedly.

papercorn2000

http://www.xacd.com.cn/index1.htm

If you are confident that you know exactly what you want, give these guys a whirl. I got a new Ti cross frame, custom made (plus a Ti stem and some other bits and pieces) delivered for US$800!

OP
OP
S

slow down

Tynan - I've just made the final payment on my Bianchi to make it mine, so I'm allowed to start another one. It undoubtedly helps that the scheme is administered by the company (rather than a third party scheme), and the scheme administrator is.............me :blush:

Sam - I think I'll give Enigma another look, and see if I can get a deal.

Papercorn - I'm not 100% certain what I want (partly hence the reason for the post) so XACD isn't going to be an option.

nodrog

Recently bought a V-N Yukon - I wanted to fit full mud guards - from Echelon at Pershore. A small concern but I could not fault the service.
I'm happy with the bike as well.

OP
OP
S

slow down

nodrog said:
Recently bought a V-N Yukon - I wanted to fit full mud guards - from Echelon at Pershore. A small concern but I could not fault the service.
I'm happy with the bike as well.

Do you know whether they offer a fitting service at Echelon?

OP
OP
S

slow down

I did look at Sunday Bikes, but not sure whether I like the finish. It looks dull compared to other ti bikes, and the red decals do nothing for me (I'm a bit shallow when it comes to bikes - I know red stickers will be faster, but I just don't like them :blush:).

Top Bottom