Which Vernier caliper?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
2018 brings with it a burning desire to measure things with a greater level of precision. In fact, you could say it's a new year's resolution. To that end, I'm going to buy a Vernier caliper. But which one?

My initial thoughts are that a range of 0-150mm and a precision of 0.05mm should be fine for bike work. Does that sound about right? Any brands I should look out for / avoid?

Advice welcome, although obviously recommendations for dial or digital calipers will be met with the contempt they deserve.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The top makes are arguably Mitutoyo and Moore and Wright.

Although I've only got traditional ones, there is a lot to be said for the digital ones apparently.

Alternatively sets of 3 micrometers covering 0-25, 25-50, 50-75 come up on fleabay from time to time - same makes recommended

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I got a £20 own-brand digital one from Halfords some years ago. It works well enough for my needs.

Probably depends what you want it for - mine gives readings to 100ths of millimetres, which is a greater level of precision than I ever need, so it doesn't matter if it's not 100% accurate.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
No advice, just to say that they are such nice things. I have my dad's old one. TBH I don't use it all that much but it's a pleasure to use. So you get a like for your contempt for the digital wotnots.
I put them on a par with electronic gearsets. They are an abomination and must be destroyed with fire. I can see why some people like to use them but they're not for me. I like to keep things mechanical.

The top makes are arguably Mitutoyo and Moore and Wright.

Although I've only got traditional ones, there is a lot to be said for the digital ones apparently.

Alternatively sets of 3 micrometers covering 0-25, 25-50, 50-75 come up on fleabay from time to time - same makes recommended
Yes, I've seen the prices of the Mitutoyo ones. I noticed M&W do a three piece set with Vernier calipers, micrometer and steel rule which they market as being value for money, but it seems to me that it's more expensive than buying each tool individually. That kind of puts me off them as a brand.

I do have a nice micrometer but it's rather old and measures in inches.

I got a £20 own-brand digital one from Halfords some years ago. It works well enough for my needs.

Probably depends what you want it for - mine gives readings to 100ths of millimetres, which is a greater level of precision than I ever need, so it doesn't matter if it's not 100% accurate.
I enjoy tinkering with bikes as much as riding them, so I'll get a lot of pleasure from using a nicely made tool. And the Vernier scale is a lovely elegant piece of engineering.
Ugh.

wonderloaf

Veteran

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I enjoy tinkering with bikes as much as riding them, so I'll get a lot of pleasure from using a nicely made tool. And the Vernier scale is a lovely elegant piece of engineering.

Yes, elegant is definitely the right word.

I mainly use mine for measuring seatposts and tyre widths; and hub dimensions when wheelbuilding. Very handy thing to have in the toolbox.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have a CK branded vernier which must be about 30 years old.

I've long since forgotten how to read it, but it still comes in handy for comparison.

Last time was a seat post, which I 'measured', took the tool to the shop and used it to find the correct one.

Still made and available for about a tenner.

http://cktools-superstore.co.uk/CK-Vernier-Caliper-180mm-T3451

Whilst a handy thing for measuring bits of timber or bolt heads it's not really a proper vernier caliper. Not being poohy but it is more a rough and ready tool, though does have a place

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Lidl sell digital ones every so often. Around a tenner IIRC. I don't know how accurate, but it has served well to measure seatpost/steerer/h.bar/seat tube etc diameters. If you're not in a hurry might be worth waiting for them to turn up again.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've had a Mitutoyo 150mm Vernier caliper for thirty-five years. I also have a Screwfix Forge Steel one that costs £13. I can't tell the difference in terms of accuracy but the Mitutoyo one is far nicer to use.

BTW, both have a stated accuracy of 0.02mm, not that I ever need it.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
I was looking for the same, and found this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-6-150...hash=item2ee45c885f:m:m-4vIg7CXQt9DBiRwmqSWSA

The non-digital one is only £4.99, but it isn't clear if it has a case, and is only metric, the digital versions have also imperial. I think for the price it is worth a try, and I have ordered one.

I am not a luddite by any means, but the beauty and elegance of the vernier system is lost when using a digital caliper.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
For bike use the cheapest available will do just fine, if you spend more you are just getting a nicer tool - but it sounds like you already know that.

Digital calipers have some neat advantages but cheap ones will usually munch through batteries even when 'off' which is a pain in the rear for occasional use. Good ones (Mitutoyo) are about £70.

Dial calipers are relatively fragile and do not like dirt as they rely on an incredibly fine rack and pinion mechanism. I have some nice Starret ones which have just skipped a tooth thanks to a microscopic bit of sawdust, putting them something like 0.05mm out. Now I have to work out how to reset them.

Verniers are definitely the best for bikes IMO. If you want to avoid the cheapies then, in addition to the normal suggestions of Starret and Moore and Wright, I'd check out Kinex. I've not seen any but they have a good rep for precision tools at relatively low prices. You could possibly check out Shinwa too; again I haven't seen any but I adore their rulers.

Edit: I was thinking of these but they have sold out https://www.workshopheaven.com/kinex-parallax-free-monoblock-vernier-caliper-150mm.html

Top Bottom