Which Vernier caliper?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Just you wait until you've got to get your reading glasses or a magnifying glass before you can read your elegant vernier.
Oh, the day will come, I'm sure of that. In fact, I can feel it beginning already, I've started having to lift up my glasses and squint a bit to read small things close up.

I and everybody else in the design office use digital mitutoyo ones, as do our machine shop.

Of course everybody can use a regular vernier as they have are useful to have around, but even our old guys prefer digital.

They’re faster to read, easier to read, and doesn’t rely on the accuracy of your eye.

The contempt for digital may have been justified years ago, but it’s not the case any more.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
or a good model from a lesser known brand (Starret or Kinex).

FWIW Starret is not a lesser known brand. I'm not sure what their rep is like for calipers specifically but for precision measuring tools in general they are right up there. They are possibly less well known in the UK since they are American.

Do you not just close them, unlock the dial, turn it so that zero is aligned with the pointer, and relock the dial?

I hope it is as easy as you say. I've never done it before and thought it involved a bit of fiddling. I don't have the calipers with me at the mo so I can't check.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I and everybody else in the design office use digital mitutoyo ones, as do our machine shop.
I'm sure that in your situation, digital is considerably better, but at home, usage rates will be low enough that the ratio between successful use and failed flat battery use will be very different, and that stocks of good replacement batteries are less likely too.
A measurement that involves going out to buy a new battery will be slow enough to override a very large number of slower dial/vernier reads.

C R

Guru
View attachment 391019
Here’s mine.. I’ve had them since I was a scientific glass blower in 1976.
They still come in handy!

Lovely leather pouch, my dad used to have a set with a pouch like that. Must remember to ask my mum about them next time we talk on the phone.

Edited to add, @Tim Hall, not that off topic, the working principle of interferometers is not too different conceptually to the vernier principle. Amazingly precise things, interferometers.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I'm sure that in your situation, digital is considerably better, but at home, usage rates will be low enough that the ratio between successful use and failed flat battery use will be very different, and that stocks of good replacement batteries are less likely too.
A measurement that involves going out to buy a new battery will be slow enough to override a very large number of slower dial/vernier reads.

After faffing about with alternatives I'd agree with PhilDawson8270 that digital is best for serious use but for occasional shed measuring Verniers are fine. Nicely made ones are relatively cheap too.

I know a bunch of people who've had the batteries run out very fast on their cheap digital calipers. This video explains why (based on a sample size of one admittedly).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8oopG2GpF0
possibly includes swearing.

His cheap calipers consume about 8x the power when "off" compared to his Mitutoyos. They also have no low-battery warning. As the battery gets low you start getting innacurate readings which I know can be incredibly frustrating if you don't realise what's going on.

Of course everybody can use a regular vernier as they have are useful to have around, but even our old guys prefer digital.

They’re faster to read, easier to read, and doesn’t rely on the accuracy of your eye.

The contempt for digital may have been justified years ago, but it’s not the case any more.

Everyone I know in engineering uses digital calipers. I can't remember the last time I saw a vernier caliper on the shop floor.

FWIW Starret is not a lesser known brand. I'm not sure what their rep is like for calipers specifically but for precision measuring tools in general they are right up there. They are possibly less well known in the UK since they are American.

I have had my Starret micrometers from when I started my apprenticeship nearly 30 years ago, and they are still like new even though they are used every day. Far better feel than just about any other mic I have used. The only other brand I use for measuring gear is Tesa and Verdict.

keithmac

Guru
I have a set of Mitutoyo Digital vernier calipers and they are a joy to use, also have a set of Lidl specials (also digital) and they do the job battery has lasted over 2 years so far!.

Also have a Mitutoyo Micrometers, been used weekly for 15 years or more and still good as new, again a pleasure to use.

I'd take Digital over stamped scale any day of the week personally.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern

I can see in a proper workshop situation, and with regular calibration checks, how digitals would be better. But I'm just messing around in my shed really...

Anyway, I've checked prices online and it's down to a straight fight. Starrett vs Mitutoyo. Nothing in it really. I hate this sort of choice, either would be fine so it doesn't really matter which ones I pick, but I need to make a decision.

Top Bottom