1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Vernier caliper?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by winjim, 10 Jan 2018.

1. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

2. OP
    OP
    winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

I'm sorted now. You crack on.

3. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

c'mon you can't leave it at that. What did you buy ?

4. C R

C R Regular

It depends what you want to do. For classification purposes you could create a tool with a series of holes of decreasing size, and group the fibres by the smallest hole through which they can fit.

It may be relatively expensive to make, but should last if the fibres are not abrasive.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add, as this is now way off topic, it may be worth creating a new thread.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    winjim

The Mitutoyos won out in the end, purely on an eenie meenie minie mo sort of basis where they happened to be the ones open in my browser at the time. It's kind of a shame, I live in Sheffield so there was a time when we had the big toolmakers right here. The site of the Moore & Wright factory is now an Asda car park...

6. Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs Senior Member

7. OP
    OP
    winjim

PhilDawson8270 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    winjim

The CC banner ads are now desperate to sell me calipers it would seem...

9. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

Me too - and I've already got three vernier calipers already !

winjim likes this.
  10. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

Whilst you'd not go far wrong with Mitutoyo, M&W or Starret, I have to say I have rarely if ever regretted buying a higher quality or more expensive tool than I strictly needed.

winjim and Alan O like this.
  11. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

I think that it's about time for one of the "I never need a torque wrench" people to post something about "I never need a measuring device.... I can eyeball it...." :whistle:

bpsmith and winjim like this.
  12. PMarkey

PMarkey Über Member

I spend all day using mic's and verniers in my day job (Jobbing machinist) and all my personal measuring tackle is manual and imperial apart from dual reading verniers , I don't have anything electronic apart from a calculator for any metric drawings plus much to the owners disgust I still use the hand wheel dials on the various lathes I'm on rather than the digital readouts that have been installed at great expense ^_^ I'm no slower than anyone else and still hit tolerance :okay: I just really enjoy using long ago learnt skills and even use inside and outside firm joint calipers on occasion though that does wind the boss up :laugh:

Paul

Ajax Bay, slowmotion, gbb and 2 others like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    winjim

Somebody buy this man a pint.

gbb likes this.
  14. Here's the one I inherited from my dad.
    upload_2018-1-13_1-0-39.png

15. Afnug

Afnug Yining & Yanging but mostly Yanging

Or some new modern tools :whistle:

PMarkey, Dogtrousers and winjim like this.