Which Vernier caliper?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have never seen a set of digital vernier calipers. ;)
What you did there.

I saw it.

Alan O

Über Member
I'm sure digital calipers are fine, but I love my 150mm Mitutoyo vernier caliper. If I used one on a daily basis I expect I'd prefer the speed of a digital one, but for the infrequent occasions when I actually use one it would be just one more thing for batteries to fail in. Besides, a vernier is a thing of joy.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Electronic ones for me. I even use them for woodwork much to the disgust of my chippy neighbour There's a very good reason though; my eyesight, even wearing glasses, is not good enough to decipher the graduations on a mechanical device but the readout on an electronic device is perfectly clear.

Venod

Eh up
I and everybody else in the design office use digital mitutoyo ones, as do our machine shop.

Of course everybody can use a regular vernier as they have are useful to have around, but even our old guys prefer digital.

They’re faster to read, easier to read, and doesn’t rely on the accuracy of your eye.

The contempt for digital may have been justified years ago, but it’s not the case any more.

My thoughts too, I worked in engineering all my life, although everybody could use the standard vernier, nobody did, first the dial gauge ones became popular then digital ruled the roost.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
First prize went to the person who pointed out that the Vernier scale is digital, although it's not electronic.

Ha! That's A-grade pedantry.

Thread hijack (but related).

Lots of measurement advice here so hoping a few metrology experts too.

What handheld device is recommended as a very quick check on diameter of fibres. Not bike related but I'm sure someone knows a good option. We're talking fine fibres (think hair diameter / hairline fibres). It's a robust device and not to expensive I'm looking for. I've used micrometers and calipers but the heads don't exactly make it easy. I'm guessing a wide head would help. Something as easy as grip a handle to open, release to clamp the fibre and an easy reading of the measurements. It's not going to be accurate, doesn't need to be. A few microns either side and who cares. Besides optical microscopy is available for accuracy and records. This is just a shopfloor device hence robust and simple (potentiality just like the operator^_^)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Thread hijack (but related).

Lots of measurement advice here so hoping a few metrology experts too.

What handheld device is recommended as a very quick check on diameter of fibres. Not bike related but I'm sure someone knows a good option. We're talking fine fibres (think hair diameter / hairline fibres). It's a robust device and not to expensive I'm looking for. I've used micrometers and calipers but the heads don't exactly make it easy. I'm guessing a wide head would help. Something as easy as grip a handle to open, release to clamp the fibre and an easy reading of the measurements. It's not going to be accurate, doesn't need to be. A few microns either side and who cares. Besides optical microscopy is available for accuracy and records. This is just a shopfloor device hence robust and simple (potentiality just like the operator^_^)

Would something like this do the job?

http://uk.farnell.com/c/tools-produ...e-with=mitutoyo-183-series-pocket-comparators

It's an 8x or 10x magnifier with accessory graticules you can measure against

Top Bottom