Which wheel truing stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycleman

As a little sideline I buy and fix 2nd hand bikes. At the moment I have around 13 bikes and 8 wheels need truing.

I don't want to buy a crap stand but I don't want one thats to expensive. My budget is around £70-£80.

I had in mind the 'Tracx T3/75' which is around £56 'Park Tools TS2.2' £229 & 'QKTS8 Home Mechanic Stand' £93. There is also a Minora Pro at aound £90 as well.

Another option I was considering is buying Roger Mussons ' Professional Guide To Wheel Building'
there is a section there on making your own truing stand which sounds ok.

I have a trade acount with 1 wholesaler so I will have to check what stands they have (if any)

So the question is

a)Whats the best stand I should get for £70-£80 (I may be able to get it at trade price if the wholesaler has it)

or.....

b)should I buy the John Musson E-Book and make my own one.

I would love to have the ''Park Tools TS2.2' but could not justify the cost and it's out of my price range.

I trued a disc wheel in its own fork and it wasn't too bad. Therefore I feel £70-£80 would be my limit.

Regards

Cycleman

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Get the Musson book and make your own. I did from bits of MDF around my garage for less than a tenner. The book is great with loads of good, clear advice. Well worth it.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The Musson book is excellent as a guide to building and truing wheels, highly recommended. I've not tried making my own jig but I know several people who've used his method and they're all very happy with the results.

I have the Minoura Pro, which I'm happy with though it tends to flex a bit which can make fine-tuning adjustments a bit trickier.

d.

Top Bottom