Which wheels for a commuter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
How many spokes do you want? How much do you weigh?

These could be another option? 28 spokes on the back which is good for a commuter

https://www.merlincycles.com/miche-reflex-rx7-clincher-road-wheelset-133607.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Smee707

No idea about spokes... I've never bought a new wheel. They need to be compatible with rim brakes and an 8 speed cassette.

Thanks

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Dunno, but 5mm's easy to spring a frame to fit.
I wouldn't spring an Aluminium Frame.

OP
OP
S

Smee707

Are the Shimano wheels from Wiggle no good? I've heard a lot of people talk about Mavic Aksium and Campags on here but they're both quite a bit more expensive.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Unless you are very heavy (so would benefit from a higher spoke count), I would imagine the Shimano wheels will be absolutely fine. They're probably a bit heavier than more expensive wheels, but will come with cup and cone bearings which are less fashionable than sealed bearings, but much easier to service and keep running smooth.

I've not met the R100s, but their specs are very similar to the R501s which I think they are replacing.R501s were known to be strong solid wheels, if a little heavy

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I have bought 2 rear wheels similar to the ones you've linked to on Amazon. Both of them I've had to rebuild myself as the spokes have slackened right off. They work, but you can see that they've been thrown together on a budget, compared to the R501s I've seen. The Shimano ones would be much better IMHO.

Top Bottom