Which wheels would you choose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
I am looking into buying new wheels for my chariot, intending to improve overall performance for weekend training rides, but mainly for sportive and the occasional TT. I am kind of looking at the Fulcrum Racing 3's or Ksyrium Elite's.

Which would you choose?

Basic specs are very similar, as is price - is it as simple as choosing the ones I like the look of best? The 3's would look bitching on my Bianchi.

amaferanga

Veteran
Or some IRD Cadence Aero from one of the most highly regarded wheel builders in the country?

I got a PowerTap wheelset built by Derek @ Wheelsmith with IRD Cadence Aero rims and Sapim Cx-ray spokes.

A set of IRD Cadence Aero on the Novatec Superlight hubs with CX-rays would come in at under 1500g (lighter than the Ksyrium Elites and R3's) and would be a great do everything wheelset IMO (with the added benefit of being handbuilt so when the rims wear out you can buy replacements for about £50 each and get them rebuilt).

Nowt wrong with the Ksyrium or R3's mind.

gbb

Legendary Member
I am looking into buying new wheels for my chariot, intending to improve overall performance for weekend training rides, but mainly for sportive and the occasional TT. I am kind of looking at the Fulcrum Racing 3's or Ksyrium Elite's.

Which would you choose?

Basic specs are very similar, as is price - is it as simple as choosing the ones I like the look of best? The 3's would look bitching on my Bianchi.

I fitted Fulcrum 5s in silver to mine..i was really concerned how they'd look....but i love it !!!!
15112011022.jpg

Trickydicky

Which would you choose?

Enve if i could afford them!

gbb

Legendary Member
what happened to your handlebars and stem? is that a giant pie plate too?

It is a tad extreme :biggrin:
Bad back, always have had, always will. Flipped the stem and i prefer to ride on the hoods. I find this position works for me. I can still get on the drops...but overall, its comfortable.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Looking good dude! I will try for black with my colour combo, but TBH silver will be good as well.

I fitted Fulcrum 5s in silver to mine..i was really concerned how they'd look....but i love it !!!!
15112011022.jpg

l4dva

Guru
I went for the Mavics because of the looks and slighty cheaper price at the time... they look great, a lot better than the fulcrums which wouldn't have worked on my boardmans.

I can feel the bumps on the road a lot more.. im hoping thats because these are a lot lot stiffer and hence ill be going faster... they flex a tiny bit but nothing compaired to the stock wheels that came with my bike.. they are lighter and feel faster.. so im happy only had them a little while but far so good!!

Top Bottom