While waiting for the frame to come back from paintshop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Windassisted

I bought the old saddle for a quid and have removed the badge to put on the one I am going to use. Don't know the age of this , it may predate the bike , but heck , it is one of their better badges. I thought these badges were Mazak or some similar base metal but have found they are brass , nickel plated.
badge.JPG

Last edited:

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
is it going on a Brooks saddle ..................................or.?

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
well done
i managed to find a 1950's B15 Narrow - from the original owner
if yours is dried out somewhat - as mine was - weekly applications of carbauba wax did the trick
then a monthly thin coat of Brooks Profide

OP
OP
Windassisted

Windassisted

Hi John. I think someone has already given this one a going over, leather feels quite supple or at least as supple as 1/4"thick leather will be. I have bought a tin of Proofide to do the necessary.
IMG_0095 (Medium).JPG

I pondered a bit on how to best rivet the badge to the seat, in the end I took two 3.5mm c/sunk slot head machine screws and ground the head down to loose the slot. This left just a small cone which I trimmed up with a file, pushed through the badge and seat with a washer and nut on the back.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The plastic badge dates it to the late sixties, and through the seventies when they were often OEM fitted to the better Raleigh, Carlton and many other 'high end' bikes ( I've got a B5n with a placcy badge) with the Team Pro and Swallow/Swift fitted to the 'racier' models.

OP
OP
Windassisted

Windassisted

The plastic badge dates it to the late sixties, and through the seventies when they were often OEM fitted to the better Raleigh, Carlton and many other 'high end' bikes ( I've got a B5n with a placcy badge) with the Team Pro and Swallow/Swift fitted to the 'racier' models.
Yes hopefully it is from the 70's to keep in date with the bike , even if sporting a badge probably from the 50,s (Headbadge site shows it undated but suggests 50's )
saddle is sorted so I am now down to polishing pedals. Have to say the quality of these things is light years away from the old rat trap pedals I used to know

petal.JPG

Top Bottom